New to Gerber usage

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
JayHitchcock

New to Gerber usage

#1 Post by JayHitchcock » 01 Apr 2019, 18:58

I need to import gerber data into dip trace. What is the procedure?

Tomg
Expert

Re: New to Gerber usage

#2 Post by Tomg » 02 Apr 2019, 08:15

1) In the Main Menu of the PCB Layout editor click on Help and then select "PCB Layout Help" in the drop-down menu to open the PCB Layout Help file.
2) In the PCB Layout Help file click on the [Contents] tab, open [+]PCB Layout, [+]Working with files, [+]Import and finally [?]Gerber.
Tom

JayHitchcock

#3 Post by JayHitchcock » 02 Apr 2019, 13:18

OK, I'm lost. Importing gerber does not give me a Component Placement List (CPL) which my board house is requiring.
How can I generate a CPL?

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 02 Apr 2019, 15:00

"...How can I generate a CPL?..."

As far as I know, importing Gerbers will not provide net or component information. For example, notice that imported copper traces and pours come in as individual copper objects (without being recognized as traces and pours) devoid of any electrical relationships. Pads are imported as pads, but they will not be grouped into components. You will either have to manually create your own Component Placement List, group pads into various components (tedious and dangerous, especially if the component origin does not wind up where you want it or the rotation reference is incorrect) or try to import the original design file while hoping it is in one of the formats DipTrace can recognize.
Tom

MPman859

#5 Post by MPman859 » 07 May 2019, 20:20

If I understood correctly, I think you are looking for the Pick and Place Report. If that is the case, then you will need to open your design (the .dip file) in Diptrace and go to File>Export>Pick and Place. This what I do and probably everyone else does when sending a design off to the board house when assembly is required.