Hierarchy copy only some copper pours

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
PaulNewf

Hierarchy copy only some copper pours

#1 Post by PaulNewf » 03 Jan 2020, 10:27

I have a layout with hierarchy blocks that use copper pours as heatsinks for some components.
I'm finding the Hierarchy only copies some copper pours of the first block laid out to the other blocks.
Is there any rule as to when copper blocks are copied as part of a Hierarchy copy in PCB layout?

- It seems to copy copper pours linked to nets that are only within the block
- it doesn't consistently copy copper pours that are linked to nets that exist outside the block (signals joining block to other circuits)
-- It did copy copper pours of the blocks of two signals coming into the block
-- it didn't copy copper pours of the power signal (Gnd) connected to the block

Just looking for the set of rules of when copper pours are included so I can understand the items that do/don't get copied with the blocks.

Paul

PaulNewf

Re: Hierarchy copy only some copper pours

#2 Post by PaulNewf » 03 Jan 2020, 11:02

A bit more testing shows the copying of the copper pour isn't related to the circuit, but instead to the "extents" of the Hierarchy block in the layout
- Extents shown when you select the block under "Routed"
- Block must have at least one trace to show under "Routed"

That is anything within the rectangular area deemed the block seems to be copied with the block (copper pours, drawing, silk comments, traces, etc)

So I add some of my "silk only" dummy components to the block in the schematic, and in the layout arrange them at the corners of the block I want to copy, everything within that area then gets copied.

My dummy parts are non-circuit patterns that I typically use to add things to schematic so they end up in BOM, that way they don't get forgotten.
- board/schematic version (I put this in so silk on PCB exactly matched item on schematic, been burned to often trying to find exact matching schematic for PCB)
- mod blocks (grid ABCDEFGH you mark when PCB modified)
- fiducials (assembly targets)
- nuts&bolts for mounting
- enclosures
- etc.

Paul