Components in schematic and PCB but not placed

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
Littlegiant

Components in schematic and PCB but not placed

#1 Post by Littlegiant » 28 Jul 2020, 10:22

Is there a way to have a component in a DipTrace schematic and have it placed and routed in PCB layout but tell DT to NOT add the component when generating a BOM and not add the component when generating Gerber files? I have a master design and layout and sub models will use a mix of different component options. How do I do this?

Littlegiant

Re: Components in schematic and PCB but not placed

#2 Post by Littlegiant » 28 Jul 2020, 14:41

This may have been asked before but I have not been able to find the answer in the forum. I could really use some help on this. Thanks all!

Tomg
Expert

#3 Post by Tomg » 28 Jul 2020, 16:06

As far as I know DipTrace does not have this capability. Other than manually editing the BOM using your favorite spreadsheet program the only solution I can think of would be to make copies of the original schematic file and assign the copies slightly different names to indicate each version (e.g. ...-A, ...-B, ...-C, etc.). Modify each schematic version to suit your needs, then update the PCB layout using whatever schematic version is required at that time.
Tom

Tim2020

#4 Post by Tim2020 » 29 Jul 2020, 17:16

Hi Tom

What you are suggestion is indeed a solution if Dip Trace doesn't have Variant manager,however disadvantage is that you will end up with many files.
Other PCB manufacturers provide variant manager but as an additional feature at extra cost. Is it something that Dip Trace may consider in the future?
(only joined forum very recently and not sure if you are part of Dip Trace team or just super knowledgeable user :) ).

Tomg
Expert

#5 Post by Tomg » 30 Jul 2020, 08:46

I'm just a customer who is not affiliated with Novarm/DipTrace, so I'm not privy to any of their non-publicly-announced plans. You might want to consider requesting this feature in the Feature requests section.
Tom