How to make holes in SMT stencil for positioning pins ?

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
c031917

How to make holes in SMT stencil for positioning pins ?

#1 Post by c031917 » 18 Nov 2014, 12:21

I’d like to order OSH stencils with holes for adjustment pins according this http://eurocircuits.com/ec-registration-system specification.

It want to use them on a low-cost printer called ec-stencil-fix -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBWtqZro_fg

It needs on the stencil two 5mm (5H8 tolerance = 5mm minus 0 micrometers and max. plus 18 micrometers) holes

outside the board outline, means in the border zone, as they call at at OSH.

How can I put the holes onto the Top Paste gerber layer so I get exactly 5mm holes ?

I thought about adding fake SMT pins on Layer "Top" outside the board outline, but aren't these also subject to paste mask shrink ?

Or is there a way to get mounting holes an Top Paste Layer ? I can put shapes there like a circle, but this probably will not produce a hole

in the stencil.
pinhole.png
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: How to make holes in SMT stencil for positioning pins ?

#2 Post by Alex » 19 Nov 2014, 09:44

Instead mounting holes or pads, you can add circular shapes on top paste layer.

c031917

#3 Post by c031917 » 19 Nov 2014, 10:01

ok, when using a filled circular shape I get a round 5mm aperture at the right place.

And this shape is excluded from paste mask shrink calculations. I tried by setting a non-zero value

for shrink and the extra shape was not touched, it was still 5mm.

So I can confirm the solution - thanks a lot !

Peter

Love life

#4 Post by Love life » 07 Apr 2017, 04:32

For example, the following figure. If you want to standardize the SMT template can be ordered from pcb manufacturers.

Example of position mark for SMT
Yellow: Mask layer
Blue: Copper layer
Red: Past layer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.