Export to DXF problems

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
DanLasley

Export to DXF problems

#1 Post by DanLasley » 19 Dec 2014, 15:54

One of my double-checks at the end of a layout is to send the mechanical parameters to my packaging engineer to make sure that all of the holes match the chassis. However, it seems that the DipTrace Export-DXF does not use common shapes. It seems that circles are exported as many-sided polygons. This drives Solidworks crazy. My 6x4 board with maybe 80 components exports a DXF file that is almost 1MB in size - and that is with no traces!

Can anyone confirm this? Any options to improve this?

Thanks.

KOBE_13

Re: Export to DXF problems

#2 Post by KOBE_13 » 26 Dec 2014, 15:34

Have had problems with Diptrace DXF export as well. Have no good comment on the circle issue.. but here is something that may frustrate you more.. exporting traces... if you export "Edge Top" or "Edge Bottom" this will give you the traces. However, the Edge Traces can be as maddening as the circle issue mentioned. Yields many segments and leaves some trace entities unclosed which causes problems for any 3D software..

Alex
Technical Support

#3 Post by Alex » 31 Dec 2014, 04:22

I suggest to export STEP file from DipTrace and import it in Solidworks. Why do you use 2D graphics (DXF) in 3D software if we have 3D export (STEP).

Pad holes and mounting holes are circular in DXF export. But as you may notice, there is no "circle" shape in DipTrace, "ellipse" tool is used instead. You may think you have circles on board but they are not exact circles. Therefore all ellipses are converted to polygons.

"Edge_Top" and "Edge_Bottom" layers in DXF export are designed for further converting to G-codes. Export regular layers Top and Bottom unless you plan to convert DXF to G-codes. Anyway, lines in PCB Layout have round ends therefore we add circles on line ends in DXF export.

DanLasley

#4 Post by DanLasley » 02 Jan 2015, 14:02

Alex, thanks for the clarification and confirmation. I see that the drilled holes are true circles, but other "round" objects are polygons, as are all of the text objects. It looks like these are the issue for me.

Are the 3D STEP objects parameterized, or are they also polygons?

In most cases, I'm just using the DXF to confirm alignment of mounting holes, connectors, etc. Usually, I'm given a DXF of the board outline, mounting holes, and some constraints, and then I return a DXF after I've made the specific locations for connectors, LEDs and any large components. There has been no need to do this in 3D yet.

I never export the traces, but sometimes the silkscreen for guidance and for the design of label artwork.

Adding a simple Circle object would be nice, as then it would be much easier to use the standard center and diameter dimensions. Having a proper Font object for DXF would also increase efficiency.