Snap DXF Import to grid - Snap to grid not working?

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
stratogavster

Snap DXF Import to grid - Snap to grid not working?

#1 Post by stratogavster » 08 Feb 2015, 15:24

Hello All,

I've imported a DXF into a PCB layout as my board outline, though i'm not able to snap it to the grid. It seems to float between grid points.

The DXF has been created with a logical origin in my DXF editor.

Can anybody help?

My aims are to snap it to the grid and then get the required accuracy with my component placements.

:D

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Snap DXF Import to grid - Snap to grid not working?

#2 Post by Alex » 09 Feb 2015, 10:25

Snap to gris is not working for board outline but you can move origin after importing DXF file: View->Define Origin->...

mtripoli
Expert

#3 Post by mtripoli » 09 Feb 2015, 13:42

stratogavster wrote:Hello All,

...My aims are to snap it to the grid and then get the required accuracy with my component placements.

:D
What do you mean by "required accuracy with my component placements"? As you will come to find out, there is no such thing in this program. If you move two identical footprints and try to line them up horizontally/vertically you will find that sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I find that the grid placement is always consistently off by at least 0.001". This may not sound like much if you're placing large components; try placing 0402, 0201's (I wouldn't even try with smaller parts) with any kind of accuracy. I find that I have to correct every single component via the coordinate input dialog boxes. Whoever decided at NOVARM that three decimal places was "enough" and rounds everything off is sorely misinformed as to how PCB's are made. I even wonder if anyone there has ever actually used this software to make boards.

KOBE_13

#4 Post by KOBE_13 » 11 Feb 2015, 06:55

Ouch!

KevinA

#5 Post by KevinA » 18 Dec 2015, 18:20

As you will come to find out, there is no such thing in this program
Using the 'beta' from today:
Pad .1524mm X .1524mm placed with the grid X,Y set to .5 worked without issues. It has major issues when I set my GRID to .05, and it should have.

As I move from Imperial to mm I understand what Tom Hausyerr means by never go back.