Eagle to Diptrace conversion problem

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
glenlivet

Eagle to Diptrace conversion problem

#1 Post by glenlivet » 30 Aug 2015, 20:44

Hi all,
I've got a problem... A client sent me a board file in Eagle format. I personally don't like Eagle but I digress. I downloaded and installed as a demo the latest Eagle (7.3.0) and converted the board as per the Diptrace instructions using the Eagle to Diptrace conversion ULP. When I imported the Diptrace ascii file several parts of the bottom copper were converted as "Top Assembly". I tried it several times with the same result so I know it wasn't a one time SNAFU. What I need to do is convert the "Top Assembly" to bottom copper and merge the two copper layers together to get the board right. I am unable to find any Diptrace function to do this nor anything in the help files. Am I missing something? Does Diptrace have the ability to do this? Is there a work around- perhaps manually editing the ascii file??

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Eagle to Diptrace conversion problem

#2 Post by Alex » 31 Aug 2015, 08:53

ULP puts content of unrecognized Eagle layers to Top Assembly layer in DipTrace ASCII file. But we would like to verify this. Could you send Eagle file to support at diptrace dot com.

You can select top assembly shapes, open properties of one of selected shapes and change layer type to Signal->Bottom. This will move selected shapes to bottom layer. But this won't convert the shapes to traces and copper pours.

Techno Tronix

#3 Post by Techno Tronix » 02 Oct 2015, 07:44

I had an experience of converting files from Eagle to Dip-trace. Run Eagle and open your schematic file. Click on ULP button and choose file "Eagle_to_DipTrace_SCH.ulp". It is usually in "C:\Program Files\Dip Trace\Utils" folder. Then Software will ask you to save the ASCII file; you should enter file name and path. Then close Eagle, open Dip Trace Schematic, select "File/ Import/ Dip Trace ASCII" and choose the file you saved before.

roseibarry

#4 Post by roseibarry » 08 Oct 2015, 08:15

Thanks Techno Tronix.
I got success in Eagle to Dip trace conversion.

wfanning@uri.edu

#5 Post by wfanning@uri.edu » 17 Oct 2015, 23:33

Hi,

I followed the above steps and ran Eagle_to_DipTrace_SCH.ulp creating a .ASC file. But when I use "File/ Import/ Dip Trace ASCII" I get an error box that tells me "Library format is incorrect". Can anyone suggest my next step?

Thank you,
Bill

Alex
Technical Support

#6 Post by Alex » 20 Oct 2015, 09:19

If you used Eagle_to_DipTrace_SCH.ulp it created DipTrace Schematic ASCII file. In what program do you import the file? You should do it in DipTrace Schematic.