connecting surface mount part to bottom layer traces

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
diptrace_nj

connecting surface mount part to bottom layer traces

#1 Post by diptrace_nj » 02 Aug 2018, 02:35

Hello. I have a 1-sided board (bottom copper layer, no plated through holes) with leaded parts, and have to use one surface mount part on the board top. If I click on the surface mount pad properties, and change the type from surface to through-hole, that seems to work fine. I just want to confirm that is the proper way to do it.

Thank you - Doug

KevinA

Re: connecting surface mount part to bottom layer traces

#2 Post by KevinA » 02 Aug 2018, 03:13

If the holes are not plated how do the signals get to the bottom? If the copper is on the bottom how can you place a SMD on the top, which according to you has no copper? On a 1 sided PCB a SMD has to be placed on the side with the copper. Is it April 1st?

diptrace_nj

Re: connecting surface mount part to bottom layer traces

#3 Post by diptrace_nj » 02 Aug 2018, 11:32

Kevin hello, thank you for your reply, and no, it is not April 1st! I should have been more clear in my first post. Except for the surface mount part, the board uses leaded parts, and all traces are on the bottom (the surface mount part was a circuit addition). The surface mount part will have copper pads on the top of course, but since it is the only surface mount part, I need to have the pads connected to the bottom of the board. As mentioned in my first post, changing the surface mount pads to through-hole seems to work fine. If that is not the way to do it, I see I can attach the surface mount pads to plated through holes, but that's more work. I hope this explains things.

Thanks again!