Schematic from PCB Layout file?

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
spelectron

Schematic from PCB Layout file?

#1 Post by spelectron » 08 May 2011, 22:50

Hello
I am new to Diptrace and being able to use it easily on the Mac is great! :D

A question... I have created a schematic and transferred it to PCB layout. I then realised that there were some mistakes and also that I had room on the board to add another chip. As I had placed all of the components and routed the tracks, I did all of these changes in PCB Layout, easily I might add! :D .

Is there a way that I can now create a new schematic from a PCB Layout file?

Apologies if I have missed something obvious

Best Regards
Scott

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Schematic from PCB Layout file?

#2 Post by Alex » 10 May 2011, 07:05

Hi Scott,

No, you can't create/update schematic from a PCB file. You should add components and nets in Schematic and keep RefDes in both programs the same, then renew layout from schematic to synchronize both files.

spelectron

#3 Post by spelectron » 10 May 2011, 19:48

Thanks for the reply, I will remember that next time.

If I do update the schematic and then refresh the layout, will it move the components I have already placed and routed?

Thanks again
Scott

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 13 May 2011, 08:48

If RefDes on Schematic and PCB are the same and net names are identical too, you won't lose routing.

BugVito

#5 Post by BugVito » 19 Jun 2012, 18:51

Would this have changed since the last answer? This is a feature that could save plenty of time. A properly made syncing mechanism could avoid pieces moving when updating a pcb from schematic, and also allow for changes made to the PCB to go around issues or offer options. A schematic is typically only used to display a circuit, but right before manufacturing, adding a second capacitor simply as a second choice for component size would be practical, and may be easier to add at the pcb level for size and feasibility. This could also help to recover a lost schematic ;).

Alex
Technical Support

#6 Post by Alex » 21 Jun 2012, 08:43

No, we have not implemented converting layout to schematic yet because we are working on other important features.

derekr

#7 Post by derekr » 17 Jul 2019, 00:12

Any chance the ‘create a schematic from a PCB layout’ will ever be implemented?

DanScan

#8 Post by DanScan » 06 Nov 2019, 18:51

I'd also like this. Sometimes I'm sent a pre-existing PCB shape from other developers and I add things into without ever having a schematic. It would be a useful feature to be able to convert a PCB back into a schematic.