Edge mount a DB25 connector

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
steve65

Edge mount a DB25 connector

#1 Post by steve65 » 23 Sep 2018, 23:30

I want to mount a DB25 male connector on the edge of a PCB, see https://www.digikey.com/products/en?key ... 25-103L001. I plan to slide the edge of the PCB between the two rows of solder cup pins and solder all of the solder cups to the PCB. There will 13 pads on top and 12 pads on the bottom side of the PCB to which the connector's solder cup pins will be soldered.

It is desirable to extend the 13 top/12 bottom pads to the edge of the PCB. Will this be a problem for PCB fab shops? Do they need some minimum clearance between the copper and the edge of the PCB?

DipTrace PCB Layout shows DRC errors for all 25 pads when I extend the 13 top/12 bottom pads to the edge of the PCB. By default, DipTrace expects a 0.635mm Board to Pad clearance. Is it OK to ignore these errors? Or perhaps go to Verification => Design Rules and change the Board to Pad clearance to zero? Any gotchas to doing that?

Seeking advice.

Thanks.

dipicorg

Re: Edge mount a DB25 connector

#2 Post by dipicorg » 24 Sep 2018, 00:46

The Part in the Link is not for mountimg on a PCB. If You use the correct Part the Errors may be gone. There are 2 Versins of the Plug. (see Drawings)
https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/part ... &vendor=37

steve65

#3 Post by steve65 » 24 Sep 2018, 20:27

Hello dipicorg,

I have successfully edge mounted the L version of the connector on double-sided 0.062in FR4 circuit board material, it worked well. It may be that the R version would also work in this fashion. I do not see any recommendation in vendor or manufacturer literature that suggests either connector is intended for edge mounting.

Thank you.

steve65

#4 Post by steve65 » 20 Oct 2018, 18:29

Are there some instructions somewhere as to how to use the "Insert image" function to embed screen capture image in a posting?

I have an image on my desktop computer hard drive that I'd like to include in a posting. How do I use the "Insert image" function to embed the image in a posting?

I tried inserting a path such as C:\Users\User\Documents\DipTrace\DB25 snippet.JPG between img and /img but it seems to want a URL. How do I get a URL from a file on my hard drive?

Thanks.

farley

#5 Post by farley » 20 Oct 2018, 19:00

Click the "Full Editor & Preview" button in the Quick Reply area then you can drag and drop an image into the editor window. Once that is done there is an option to "Place Inline."