Where are preferences saved?

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
rick.curl
Expert

Where are preferences saved?

#1 Post by rick.curl » 13 Oct 2018, 01:56

Probably a dumb question, but where are the PCB layout preference settings saved? A friend asked me to look over a PCB layout he had done, and after I opened his file in my copy of Diptrace, all of my PCB layout settings have changed to the way he had his copy of Diptrace set up. Default colors, line widths, view preferences, etc. have all changed.

If I open one of my old layouts it looks fine, but if I try to start a new one the preferences are all wrong. I know I could set each of the preferences individually, but I was wondering if there is an easier way.

Thanks!

-Rick

Tomg
Expert

Re: Where are preferences saved?

#2 Post by Tomg » 14 Oct 2018, 02:47

Not quite sure, but maybe this old thread will help shed some light on the subject - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11251&p=21185#p21295
Tom

rick.curl
Expert

#3 Post by rick.curl » 15 Oct 2018, 07:33

Thanks, Tom- That info is helpful. I tried that method of backing up and restoring the settings, and it seems to work fine.

I'm still surprised that just opening a PCB layout file that someone sent me changes my default settings, though.

-Rick

rick.curl
Expert

#4 Post by rick.curl » 15 Oct 2018, 07:48

I think I'm getting forgetful in my old age. I just stumbled across a note to myself from a couple of years ago that included the information you pointed me to, plus some additional info. It probably came from the forum, I'm not sure. Here it is, in case it may help someone else:
Design-specific settings (net classes, via styles, routing settings, DRC, etc.) are saved in design files. They can be saved to rule file using "Route/ Save Rules" and applied in another design using "Route/ Load Rules".
Common settings ( trace templates, grids, colors, etc.) are saved in registry. To move these settings from one machine to another open regedit and export registry key from HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Novarm/DipTrace. Then run the registry key on second machine.
Some more settings ( title blocks, sheet templates, localization) are saved in data files. User can find and copy these files from one machine to another one. Depending on operation system these files can be in different folders, for WinXP it is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DipTrace\Data.

dtu2
Expert

#5 Post by dtu2 » 15 Oct 2018, 17:02

This is just the kind of thing that I believe would be beneficial if it were to be included in the FAQ.

Another subject that surely would qualify is the pagestand.dat and stamps.dat file subject that pops up every now and again.

Unfortunately, searching the forum can be hit and miss not to mention the time required.

These seem to be reoccurring Diptrace program-specific topics. If you agree, please consider petitioning the Diptrace powers-that-be (i.e. Alex et. al.) to include them in the FAQ.
Jeff