3D rendering and google sketchup

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
DavyJones

3D rendering and google sketchup

#1 Post by DavyJones » 10 Jan 2019, 02:45

Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to export the 3D rendered images the tool produces so they can be imported into google sketchup?
What would be nice is if I could do this because hammon mfg has many of their boxes also rendered in 3D. I was going to ask them if there was a way to get their images in a format I could open with google sketchup as well. If I could import both the 3D rendered image from PCB layout and Hammond it would make things easy to get them aligned in the box.
I know I have no problems with the mounting holes that's not much of a concern. The concerns is more towards components that I will mount on the board itself once it is made. In particular I am planning on mounting one component and I want this to stick out through the box vertically and horizontally aligned center of the box.

Thanks
David

Tomg
Expert

Re: 3D rendering and google sketchup

#2 Post by Tomg » 10 Jan 2019, 03:01

It's common to use STEP files for inter-CAD 3D rendering. DipTrace can export STEP files from its 3D Preview window. From what I have read, Sketchup cannot import STEP files. You will have to find a program that can convert STEP files into whatever Sketchup can import.
Tom

d1wang

#3 Post by d1wang » 10 Jan 2019, 03:10

In the layout editor's 3D visualization tool, you can export the board to .STEP model. STEP file is a de-facto standard and most 3D software supports it.

Hammond has 3D .STEP models available at http://hammondmfg.com/dwg.htm

Import your board and enclosure models to any 3D software to visualize the assembly.

DavyJones

#4 Post by DavyJones » 10 Jan 2019, 03:59

Excelent I got my drawing exported to the STEP file and converted and looking at it now in sketchup. I'm going to get the drawings now from Hammond I hope this works out ok this is pretty cool thanks

DavyJones

#5 Post by DavyJones » 11 Jan 2019, 03:32

It worked! I had a engineer friend who has some good 3D modeling software convert the images to be read by sketchup and I was able to import the board and the box to get things aligned properly on my board so things line up.