PCB construction parameters

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
scfaria

PCB construction parameters

#1 Post by scfaria » 24 May 2021, 06:36

Attached is the very small PCB layout that I am trying to make. The dimensions of the PCB that I want to produce is 44 x 40 mm. The picture is much larger (90 x 70 mm) than what I want for a final product. Looking at the components on this layout, it is easy to see that the dimensions of the ICs and the other components are much larger than what I have to install. My ICs are about 6 x 18 mm, pretty standard 14 pin DIP chips, the ones shown in the PCB Layout Tool are much bigger. At this point in the project everything is going OK, but I would really like to find out how to get the dimensions on the PCB and the components to match what I dealing with. It's probably somewhere in the documentation or tutorials, so I'll keep plodding on, but in the meantime it would be nice to get some advice on building this project.
syd/wt1v
Attachments
TDR_PCB.PNG
TDR_PCB.PNG (6.49 KiB) Viewed 261 times

Tomg
Expert

Re: PCB construction parameters

#2 Post by Tomg » 24 May 2021, 09:05

I am not quite sure what you are asking, but here are some tips that come to mind...

* To zoom to fit the Design Area either use the mouse wheel (and/or hold the right mouse button down and drag to pan), or left-click on the Zoom Extents icon in the main menu, or hit the "[Home]" hotkey.

* If you want to change the current board dimensions, right-click on the board outline, choose "Board Points..." in the context menu and edit the board points. You can also left-drag the board outline with the mouse.

* If you are looking to create a new rectangular board with specific dimensions go to the main menu, left-click on "Objects" > "Board Points...", choose the "[x] Create Rectangular Board" option, enter the desired Height and Width and left-click on "OK".

* If you wish to place a dimension go to the main menu, left-click on the Place Dimension icon, choose a mode/direction for the dimension, in the Design Area left-click on a starting point, left-click on an ending point, move the mouse to find a good place for the dimension to reside and then left-click to anchor it there.

* If you want to find the dimensions for a specific component, right-click on it (not its pads), select "Properties..." in the context menu, choose the "[Parameters]" tab in the Component Properties dialog window and left-click on the right-arrow in the Datasheet section to display the component's datasheet.
Tom

scfaria

#3 Post by scfaria » 24 May 2021, 16:15

It looks like you are saying that if I change the PCB dimensions in the rectangular board that will be the exact size of the board when I go to order it? I haven't checked yet but I am assuming that the PCB dimensions are going to be in inches or mm from this menu. So I shouldn't have to worry about the size of the 14 pin DIP ICs either? As far as the caps and resistors are concerned, how am I going to know what size they are? After all there are 5W and 1/8W resistors so I think the layout of a resistor will depend on what I want to install on the PCB. And, as far as I know, there are various different sizes when it comes to the caps. Some are small square mica types, and others might be a ceramic disc type. I really don't think the library covers all the various manufacturers of caps so that the cap I want to use will fit the PCB. Heck electrolytics come in all sizes. I'm going to be using 1/8W resistors and ceramic disc caps for my project, so all I care about at the present is fitting these 2 components into my PCB.

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 25 May 2021, 01:02

...It looks like you are saying that if I change the PCB dimensions in the rectangular board that will be the exact size of the board when I go to order it?...
Yes. Later on you will also need to set the units in the Gerber export dialog window to let the board house know what units to use.
...I haven't checked yet but I am assuming that the PCB dimensions are going to be in inches or mm from this menu...
The grid and PCB dimensions will conform to the working units of the Design Area. There are two ways to set the units of the Design Area; either go to the main menu and select "View" > "Units" > "inch"/"mil"/"mm", or toggle through the units using the hotkey combination of "[Shift]" + "u".
...So I shouldn't have to worry about the size of the 14 pin DIP ICs either?...
Correct.
...As far as the caps and resistors are concerned, how am I going to know what size they are?...
When you place the required component/pattern, what you see is what you get. If it fits, it fits.
...there are 5W and 1/8W resistors so I think the layout of a resistor will depend on what I want to install on the PCB. And, as far as I know, there are various different sizes when it comes to the caps. Some are small square mica types, and others might be a ceramic disc type. I really don't think the library covers all the various manufacturers of caps so that the cap I want to use will fit the PCB. Heck electrolytics come in all sizes...
Welcome to the rabbit hole of PCB design. Creating custom (User) libraries allows you to add more components and patterns to suit your specific needs. Using the manufacturer's datasheets when designing new components/patterns is a requirement, along with doing your best to validate dimensions with the actual component(s) and a good set of digital calipers in hand. If you think you would like to try third-party component/pattern designs, feel free to use the SnapEDA component search tool within DipTrace (main menu: "Objects" > "Search Parts at SnapEDA..."). There are many potentential pitfalls to watch out for when designing components (or using third-party designs) and this is why a good, vetted set of component libraries is worth its weight in gold.
Tom

scfaria

#5 Post by scfaria » 25 May 2021, 03:38

:P You answered all my questions, thanks.... I wish there was a way on this forum to mark posts as being completed by the poster. Most of the other forums I belong to do just that. It's a nice feature, otherwise the posts seem to keep hanging on ad infinitum without knowing that the original poster has had all the questions answered.

Alex
Technical Support

#6 Post by Alex » 25 May 2021, 23:57

There is no way to close topics because they may be interested for future readers. But you can add a comment that problem is resolved or something like that.