How to bring back ungrouped component

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
infinitemach

How to bring back ungrouped component

#1 Post by infinitemach » 24 Sep 2021, 16:16

I imported a PCB from Eagle and some of the component silkscreen markings are on the wrong layer. If I ungroup the component I can change the marking layers but I can't find a way to re-group the component to bring back its original values and other information. If I re-group it adds it as a new component and is out of sync with the schematic.

Is there a way to ungroup a component, do some editing on it and then bring it back as the same component with all its original parameters?

Tomg
Expert

Re: How to bring back ungrouped component

#2 Post by Tomg » 25 Sep 2021, 01:57

Since they are only silkscreen markings you can leave them ungrouped and they should not disappear when running the "Renew Layout from Schematic" tool. FYI, re-syncing a component is accomplished by matching its reference designator to its counterpart on the schematic and choosing the "By RefDes..." option when running the "Renew Layout from Schematic" tool for the first time after the change. If you regroup the silkscreen back into a component, its going to be included in the BOM. I would think a silkscreen-only "component" doesn't need to exist in the schematic; in fact, a silkscreen-only "component" shouldn't exist at all. It's just silkscreen on the PCB. But that's just me. You may have different needs for your design.

p.s. Regrouping and re-syncing will usually result in the pattern returning to its original state. Pattern changes should be made in the Pattern Editor and then forward-propagated through to the component, schematic and finally the PCB.
Tom

infinitemach

#3 Post by infinitemach » 25 Sep 2021, 03:36

Maybe I'm not regrouping correctly. When I regroup I lasso all the loose parts of the component and choose group into component. This ends up with a part that has a new ResDef, Ux something.

Here's some detail about the problem I'm having. I have a SOT23 diode on my board and the cathode marking is on the Top Assembly layer. This is not being generated when I create a my gerber outputs, so there is no orientation marking on the final PCB - not desirable. To add to the problem I already have SMD templates made for this board and I do not want to change the location of the pads by adding or editing a part. I tried ungrouping, changing the marking's layer then regrouping. When I matched the Resdef value to the schematic and did a re-sync from the schematic (also imported from Eagle) the part did not maintain its position and was rotated 90 degrees.

Are you saying I only need to use the Pattern Editor to change the component and not worry about ungrouping/grouping?

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 25 Sep 2021, 04:42

...Are you saying I only need to use the Pattern Editor to change the component and not worry about ungrouping/grouping?...
It's a little more involved than that, but yes.

Ideally, the schematic component should be using a component located in one of your component libraries. If so, then hopefully it is located in one of your "User" (custom) libraries where saving changes is allowed. Here are the four steps that make up the forward propagation process...
1) Locate the pattern the component is using, make the needed changes to it using the Pattern Editor and resave the pattern library.
2) Edit the related component using the Component Editor, re-attach the pattern so that the new pattern changes will be adopted and resave the component library.
3) In the Schematic Editor update the related component and resave the schematic.
4) In the PCB Layout editor use the "Renew Layout from Schematic" (By Components...) tool to bring in the changes from the schematic. You should see the pattern changes appear. Don't forget to resave the PCB.
Tom

infinitemach

#5 Post by infinitemach » 25 Sep 2021, 05:22

The component properties has a pattern name but I cannot find it anywhere using the Pattern Editor. I imported the library from Eagle that the part came from and it shows the pattern, but how can I edit it? I tried replacing the part in the schematic with the one in the imported library (should be the same, right?) but still I can't figure out how to find and edit the pattern it is using.

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 25 Sep 2021, 06:29

It most likely hasn't been imported into your user libraries. You will have to copy the schematic component to one of your User Components libraries, and the PCB pattern into one of your User Patterns libraries.

Copying a component
In the Schematic Editor choose the "User Components" group, select/highlight the target library, right-click on the component to be copied and choose Save to Library > Add to Active in the context menu. When the "Confirm" dialog window appears, click on the "[Yes]" button. The component name should show up in the library list on the left side of the screen.

Copying a pattern
In the PCB Layout editor choose the "User Patterns" group, select/highlight the target library, right-click on the pattern to be copied and choose Save to Library > Add to (currently selected library name) in the context menu. When the "Confirm" dialog window appears, click on the "[Yes]" button. The pattern name should show up in the library list on the left side of the screen.

Now you can change the copied pattern (and resave pattern library), attach it to the copied component (and resave component library), replace the component in the schematic (and resave the schematic) and renew the PCB layout.
Tom

infinitemach

#7 Post by infinitemach » 25 Sep 2021, 06:51

Thanks for all your help. I think I have this figured out now. Following your steps, I have successfully updated the silkscreen marking of the component without having to ungroup the part, like I was trying to do before.

My biggest stumbling block is learning the new way of how components and footprints (patterns) are associated with each other, how they are stored and organized. This video was helpful in visually demonstrating what I had to do.