Manual editing traces

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
arco

Manual editing traces

#1 Post by arco » 23 Nov 2021, 05:17

After autorouting, I need to edit some traces to get things right. How do I move a trace?
If I just grab and move it, it gets drawn straight across completely other pads and nets.
How can I get Diptrace to only move traces if possible without drc errors?

(until now I used Ultiboard: that neatly moves tracks around other nets and pads)
Attachments
RouteEdit.png
RouteEdit.png (58.67 KiB) Viewed 706 times

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Manual editing traces

#2 Post by Alex » 23 Nov 2021, 21:23

You can add node(s) to trace segment and drag smaller part of the segment. You may need few iterations to get what you wanted. Obstacles avoiding is not available in DipTrace yet.

arco

#3 Post by arco » 25 Nov 2021, 09:44

Thanks,
Very strange that trace moving (around objects) isn't supported?
Every other PCB cad program does. (my Ultiboard version is 23 years old and it does!)

This way it gets very cumbersome (almost undoable) to manually move traces...
(to me this is basic functionality that every program should have, you have to move autorouted traces to their 'proper' position lots of times...)

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 26 Nov 2021, 00:51

The feature you want looks like interactive editing. We work on interactive routing and when the feature done it could be applied for editing too.

arco

#5 Post by arco » 26 Nov 2021, 22:21

Thanks,
I will go back to Ultiboard for the time being, because it is really annoying and very time consuming if you cannot move traces with real-time error checking.
(you now get a red circle around any unwanted connection, but that's not useful; the trace is still drawn right across anything in it's path creating numerous shorts)

I find it unbelievable that such a basic need is lacking in such a fine pcb tool: I never had any other program without this (mandatory) option...

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 27 Nov 2021, 04:18

...I never had any other program without this (mandatory) option...
Your frustration is understandable and judging from recent posts the DipTrace team is currently working hard on a solution. By the way, how much did those "other" programs cost? I can see a good argument when comparing DipTrace to KiCad (speaking only of cost, not ease of use), but I have heard that some of the "other" programs can be significantly more expensive. We are all patiently awaiting the long-promised "push & shove" feature set and, if past DipTrace feature introductions are any indication, their implementation of "enhanced routing" should turn out to be solid and intuitive to use.

The next few months may prove to be very interesting for the mid-level PCB-CAD market.
Tom

arco

#7 Post by arco » 27 Nov 2021, 05:51

By the way, how much did those "other" programs cost?
My UltiBoard version from 1996 costed less and does fabulous manual routing... ;)

It also has a lot of other features that Diptrace lacks...
(Seeing all positive comments to Diptrace I expected at least the functionality the same or better as my ancient Ultiboard...)

Tomg
Expert

#8 Post by Tomg » 27 Nov 2021, 15:28

...My UltiBoard version from 1996 costed less and does fabulous manual routing...
On the surface it sounds like good value even for 1996 money. Today's Ultiboard, however, is expensive - Full (some limitations): $2816.00, Professional (no limitations): $4184.00
Since there are different levels of functionality vs price, here is a link to the Ultiboard feature comparison chart...
https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/docume ... tures.html

Going by what other people have reported on other sites concerning Ultiboard, there seem to be some persistent bugs (minor and major); and the owner, National Instruments, apparently stopped supporting the program over five years ago. Of course, I can't say with any reasonable certainty that these statements are facts since this information comes from online chat rooms.
Tom

TDHofstetter

#9 Post by TDHofstetter » 09 Jun 2022, 05:17

I'll chime in here and say that editing traces is super-easy in ExpressPCB; I wish DipTrace made it that easy. In ExpressPCB, every trace node is visible and can be dragged wherever you want it to be without accidentally connecting your trace to all the wrong places or screwing up your ratlines. With DipTrace, so far it's been easiest for me to delete a trace completely, then redraw it if it needs any editing. That's... "fine" in some regards, but it requires you to think very hard about every trace and be very careful to lay it down exactly where it needs to go... correctly the first time.

So... for my own purposes, it's easiest to do all the schematic and PC layout work in ExpressPCB, then open a DipTrace window next to my ExpressPCB window and painfully copy every trace from ExpressPCB to DipTrace, a task made even more inconvenient by the fact that DipTrace doesn't permit you to snap to half-grids or quarter-grids, only to full grids... but a 0.025" grid is far too busy for through-hole components.

DipTrace is the easiest to use of the non-ExpressPCB layout editors, but it's still a long, long way from being competitive with ExpressPCB in terms of ease of use.