How to copy one layer to another?

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
jom

How to copy one layer to another?

#1 Post by jom » 08 Mar 2022, 10:48

Hello

I'm not sure what happened but somehow Diptrace deleted two of my four layers. As I don't know exactly what happened so I'd rather just try to salvage what I have. It turns out my 3rd layer has now become the Bottom layer. So if I can copy my "Bottom" layer to a new 3rd layer I can salvage most of my work.

I've already tried to copy but only the metal and pour would work...the trace "routes" wouldn't copy over for some reason. I then tried to use Segment, Trace and Net layer commands and it got all messed up.

Any help would be appreciated.

jom

Tomg
Expert

Re: How to copy one layer to another?

#2 Post by Tomg » 08 Mar 2022, 17:04

The following example uses layers named "Top", "2nd", "3rd" and "Bottom"...

1) Trace Vias will create a mess on the 3rd layer during a layer change, so convert all of the Trace Vias into Static Vias by right-clicking on one of the Trace Vias and choosing "Convert Via to Static" > "All Vias" in the context menu...
cv2s.png
cv2s.png (7.96 KiB) Viewed 323 times
2) Set the working layer to "Bottom" and in the main menu click on Edit > Edit Selection... to bring up the "Edit Selection" dialog window.
3) In the "Edit Selection" dialog window enable [x]Traces and set its drop-lists to "All" and "Bottom", enable [x]Copper Pour and set its drop-list to "Bottom", then click on the [OK] button.
4) Right-click on one of the newly selected/highlighted traces of the bottom layer and choose Trace Layer > 3rd in the context menu. This should transfer all selected/highlighted traces from the bottom layer to the 3rd layer.
5) Right-click on the edge of one of the newly selected/highlighted copper pours of the bottom layer and choose Change Layer > 3rd in the context menu. This should transfer all selected/highlighted copper pours from the bottom layer to the 3rd layer.
6) Set the working layer to "3rd", return to the Default Mode to deselect everything (e.g. click in an empty area) and view the results.
tl2.png
tl2.png (31.11 KiB) Viewed 334 times
Tom

jom

Re: How to copy one layer to another?

#3 Post by jom » 09 Mar 2022, 07:32

That helps a great deal. Thank you!!

jom