Stacked boards interconnection

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
radioman1000

Stacked boards interconnection

#1 Post by radioman1000 » 02 Apr 2022, 16:11

I am laying out a PCB that will plug into another PCB below it with a dual row header and I want the pin numbering to match from board to board.
The problem is when I place the dual row header on the bottom of the top board the pins get reversed and don't match the lower board numbers.
I could layout the header on the top board on the top side and just mount the header on the bottom but the silk screen would still be on the top side.
Is there a way to have a header placed on the bottom of a PCB but still retain the numbering as if it were on the top of the PCB?

Thanks,
Sam

farley

Re: Stacked boards interconnection

#2 Post by farley » 04 Apr 2022, 07:20

The last time I was faced with this issue I believe that I created a custom component for one side of the mating pair and numbered the pins to match the other connector. I'm not aware of a cleaner way to do it.

radioman1000

Re: Stacked boards interconnection

#3 Post by radioman1000 » 04 Apr 2022, 11:54

I'm surprised this isn't something that would be encountered occasionally and would be a useful feature.

I'll just take the existing headers and modify the pins as a new component as you suggested.

Thanks