Layout Workflow (little issues)

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
asauter

Layout Workflow (little issues)

#1 Post by asauter » 19 Apr 2022, 10:45

I am an Altium native but making minor changes did not want to import.

1) How do I route a trace and drop a via to hit a pour and complete the routing?
2) How to change the net assignment of a Via?
3) Key shortcut for 'check connectivity'?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tomg
Expert

Re: Layout Workflow (little issues)

#2 Post by Tomg » 20 Apr 2022, 03:06

DipTrace version 4.2.0.1...
...How do I route a trace and drop a via to hit a pour and complete the routing?...
Routing a trace can be initiated by pressing the "~" (tilde) hotkey. Make sure the copper pour has been assigned to the same net as the trace in question. In DipTrace you will have to first drop a Static Via in the desired location, connect the trace to it and update the copper pour. A hotkey can be assigned to update all copper pours if you wish, otherwise you will have to go to the main menu and click on Objects > Update All Copper Pours.

I don't believe it is possible to use the direct and easier method you described, though it would be nice to have that capability (someone should correct me if I'm mistaken). Here's the closest way to your method that I have found will work in DipTrace...
* In the main menu click on Route > Route Setup... , under the [Settings] tab enable the [x]Route with Static Vias option and click on OK. Start routing on the desired layer, press hotkey "e" to enable the via preview, left-click where you want the via to be placed, hit the appropriate layer hotkey (1, 2, 3, 4, etc...) to reach the pour's layer, continue routing a small trace on the pour's layer away from the new via and hit the [Enter] key to create a stub trace segment. Delete the stub segment and update the copper pour to make the connection to the new via.
...How to change the net assignment of a Via?...
* If the via is a Trace Via, first convert it to a Static Via (right-click on it and select Convert Via to Static... > Current Via).
* If the static via is connected to a trace that is already assigned to a net and you want to keep the connection; right-click on it, select Net Name... in the context menu, change the net name in the "Net Name" flyout menu and click on OK. This will change the net name of the via, trace and everything connected to it.
* If the static via is not connected to a trace; right-click on it, select Delete from Net in the context menu, right-click on it again, select Add to Net in the context menu and choose the desired option in the flyout menu. If the net you want doesn't exist, you'll have to create it first.
...Key shortcut for 'check connectivity'?...
Here are some of my settings...
hk1.png
hk1.png (34.73 KiB) Viewed 109 times
Tom