Import DXF as filled pad (for Top Paste)

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
spittet

Import DXF as filled pad (for Top Paste)

#1 Post by spittet » 13 Jul 2022, 01:49

Hi,

I have v4.2.0.1.

I'm trying to build a stencil for thermal paste application, which is really similar to a stencil for solder paste application. I have a DXF file of the stencil (please see attachement).
My manufacturer want the file format to be in Gerber, just like if it was for a stencil for solder paste, where the hexagon shapes would be shown as pads on the Top Paste layer.

I tried different settings in the Import DXF tool. I can correctly map the DXF layers to the Diptrace layers with the "Convert to" tool, but it seems I cannot fill a closed closed area with the checkmark "Fill closed area" checked.

Do someone have an idea for that?

Thanks in advance!

Have a good day!

Tomg
Expert

Re: Import DXF as filled pad (for Top Paste)

#2 Post by Tomg » 14 Jul 2022, 00:21

I have a DXF file of the stencil (please see attachement)
I assume you wanted to attach a DXF file to your post, but I don't see one.
Tom

SoundMod

Re: Import DXF as filled pad (for Top Paste)

#3 Post by SoundMod » 14 Jul 2022, 07:27

spittet wrote: 13 Jul 2022, 01:49 I tried different settings in the Import DXF tool. I can correctly map the DXF layers to the Diptrace layers with the "Convert to" tool, but it seems I cannot fill a closed closed area with the checkmark "Fill closed area" checked.
Ok, here is how you can do it. I ran into the same problem. I don't know if its a bug which has never been fixed or if the import process in Diptrace is intended to work like that.

So, what I discovered is that the "fill" option doesn't work when importing on "mask, paste and silk layer", however it does work when importing on a copper or an assembly layer.
So, basically import your DXF on a copper layer or assembly layer then select everything imported and move it on the your required layer.

Here is an example of the setting use for a project I did:
DXF Import Sequence
DXF Import Sequence
DXF_Import.jpg (116.07 KiB) Viewed 450 times
1.Import DXF with the correct units, select a Assembly or Copper Layer, check "Fill closed areas" and "Embedded Polygon". Take notes that all the outlined shape in the DXF "MUST" be closed otherwise it won't work or gives weird results.
2.Imported shapes should now be filled on the Assembly or Copper Layer (according to your selection).
3.Select all the imported shaped and move objects to the desired layers
4.Done