Show only a single net in PCB Layout?

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
Dave8266

Show only a single net in PCB Layout?

#1 Post by Dave8266 » 17 Aug 2022, 16:30

Is there any way in the PCB Layout tool to show only a single net, and hide everything else?

I'd like to use this to visualize coverage and stitching of ground planes across layers.

Thanks

Tomg
Expert

Re: Show only a single net in PCB Layout?

#2 Post by Tomg » 18 Aug 2022, 03:19

There does not appear to be a "Show Only This Net" option in DipTrace 4.3.0.1. Right-clicking on the desired net and selecting either "Highlight Net" or "Trace Color" > "Custom..." (choose a vibrant color) to make it stand out from the rest is probably the closest thing to a visualization aid you're going to find.
Tom

Dave8266

#3 Post by Dave8266 » 18 Aug 2022, 03:28

Thanks Tom. I'm aware of that functionality, and do use coloring. But for dense layouts, especially where pours are involved, there are just too many visual elements present for it to help.

An example of what I'm after is Figure 8 on page 9 of this PDF from Texas Instruments:
"PCB Design Guidelines For Reduced EMI"
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/szza009/szza009.pdf

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 18 Aug 2022, 04:50

Another option might be to temporarily change the color of the other nets to match the background color. You may also need to turn off certain layers (Silk, Comp Outline, Courtyard, etc.) to reduce the remaining visual clutter. Depending on the number of nets in your design, it can become very tedious to hide everything else; not to mention returning all settings back to normal after you've finished stitching.

For what it's worth, consider submitting a proposal in the Feature requests forum for some sort of "Show Only This Net" option to be added.
Tom