Removing embedded track segments in a copper pour

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
WarFreak131

Removing embedded track segments in a copper pour

#1 Post by WarFreak131 » 13 Nov 2022, 07:32

I have a copper pour that is connected to ground. There are ground traces that are embedded in them already. As seen in the attachment, pin 2 of J2 connects to pin 2 of U10. You can see near pin 1 of J2 that the copper trace from pin 2 passes near it. Since pin 2 of J2 and pin2 of U10 are both already connected to ground through the plane, it's redundant (and in my opinion, unsightly) to have a that trace there.

Is there a way to remove redundant traces that are already connected via a common pour?
Thanks
diptrace.png
diptrace.png (9.9 KiB) Viewed 198 times

Tomg
Expert

Re: Removing embedded track segments in a copper pour

#2 Post by Tomg » 14 Nov 2022, 01:59

To unroute all traces of a net...
1) In the Design Manager on the right-side of the screen click on the "Nets" icon to bring up the net list.
2) In the net list right-click on the net to be unrouted and select "Unroute Net" in the context menu.
(Alternatively, you could also right-click on one of the redundant segments/traces and select "Unroute Net" in the context menu.)
un1.png
un1.png (8.92 KiB) Viewed 193 times
To unroute one segment (or trace), right-click on the desired segment (or trace) and select "Unroute Segment" (or "Unroute Trace") in the context menu.
Tom

WarFreak131

Re: Removing embedded track segments in a copper pour

#3 Post by WarFreak131 » 16 Nov 2022, 07:25

Thank you for the reply Tomg. I found a reasonable workaround is to set the keepout of the copper pour equal to the keepout of the net it is attached to. In my screenshot, the keepout of the net is smaller than the keepout of the pour, so the trace appears. If you make them equal the problem goes away. You would only possibly see an additional track if you set the connection type to spokes.