New component design not working in old PCB design

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
Ford Prefect

New component design not working in old PCB design

#1 Post by Ford Prefect » 04 Dec 2022, 03:04

NB. This post also refers to this posting::
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14997

Several months ago I created a new circuit using the schematic application and subsequently created a PCB design.
Just recently I wanted to alter the pads to square on a capacitor to which I did using the pattern and component editor applications. All worked ok.

Then I opened up the old schematic circuit in the schematic application and deleted the old and added the new capacitor component. All ok so far.
I also opened up the old PCB design in the PCB layout application and deleted the old component but when I tried to add the new designed component the old design was dragged over as in Pic.1 and Pic.2

Pic.1 = This is the OLD PCB design and the new capacitor with the square pads being dragged over onto the PCB layout. You can see the square pads outline.
A is the old capacitor design and B1 is the new capacitor design being dragged over.

Pic.2 = This is the OLD PCB design and the new capacitor with the square pads just dropped onto the PCB layout. The pads are now round!!
A is the old capacitor design and B2 is the new capacitor design just dropped and with the old pads.

Pic.3 = This is a NEW PCB Layout without any components. The new capacitor is being dragged over onto the PCB layout. You can see the square pads outline.
C1 is the new designed component being dragged over onto the new PCB Layout

Pic.4 = This is a NEW PCB Layout without any components. The new capacitor has just been dropped onto the PCB layout. You can see the new square pads as it should be.
C2 is the new designed component being dragged over onto the new PCB Layout - The pads are quare and correct!

So, it appears that if you create a PCB in PCB Layout application you cannot then redesign a component and update it on the old PCB layout.
Can anyone else recreate this and understand why this is happening?

This might be a bug in the application somewhere

Thanks
1-1.jpg
1-1.jpg (77.86 KiB) Viewed 503 times
1-2.jpg
1-2.jpg (81.99 KiB) Viewed 503 times
1-3.jpg
1-3.jpg (54.15 KiB) Viewed 503 times
1-4.jpg
1-4.jpg (62.63 KiB) Viewed 503 times

Alex
Technical Support

Re: New component design not working in old PCB design

#2 Post by Alex » 06 Dec 2022, 23:55

Please open layer setup and check layer type in old design. If layer type is plane that explains why square pads become round.
In the new design, layers have signal type by default therefore square pads remain square.

Ford Prefect

Re: New component design not working in old PCB design

#3 Post by Ford Prefect » 11 Dec 2022, 04:31

No, that didn't work. The layer type is set as signal in the old design.
But now I have done something that has corrected the problem but I cannot remember what I did. I am dragging over the edited component onto the old PCB design and now it is working.
I think I must have done something within the Pattern Editor or the Component Editor but I wish I could remember what I did.
If I discover I will let you know.