Custom paste mask setting

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
fluxanode

Custom paste mask setting

#1 Post by fluxanode » 13 Jan 2023, 10:16

I would like to know if there is a method to shrink the length as well as the width of the past mask separately. And also adjust the position of the paste area on the pad?

Tomg
Expert

Re: Custom paste mask setting

#2 Post by Tomg » 13 Jan 2023, 12:21

As far as positioning, probably not (could be wrong, of course). For size, you could play around with the Custom Paste Mask Shrink setting to see how that goes, but length vs width won't be separable. Otherwise, I guess you will have to change the pad's default Paste setting to "No Solder", create your own shape on the same Paste layer and then move it into the desired position.
Tom

fluxanode

#3 Post by fluxanode » 17 Jan 2023, 06:13

Yeah i played with custom paste and not what i wanted. I'll see what i can do with creating a shape. This should be a feature addition to the paste mask settings. It would be nice to have a free form tool for the mask settings.

octal

#4 Post by octal » 06 Jul 2023, 16:54

Solder/Paste mask defines where soldering will occur by exposing the needed copper area. Why not simply create a special pattern for your component where the desired pad has the dimensions and position of expected solder/paste masks?

If it's not a usable solution, the easiest way I found to do what you need is to:
Let's say it's an SMD-8 pins part and you want to setup a special mask for your pin 8.
- Create a new foot print for your part with 8 pads
- Select pad 8 and right click it and change its Mask/Paste Settings to: Top Solder mask = Tented, Top Paste Mask = No solder
- Draw a shape with the mask dimensions you want on top of your pad.
- Right click the shape and select properties. In the Layer property put "Mask"
- Draw a second shape (could be the same, or smaller if you want) with the Paste mask dimensions you want on top of your pad.
- Right click the shape and select properties. In the Layer property put "Paste"
- Save your footprint
- Use your footprint

You can now see that you can create any shaped solder/paste masks and position them anywhere.

Hope this helps