Copper Pour shape import as DXF

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
ISTVAN

Copper Pour shape import as DXF

#1 Post by ISTVAN » 21 Jul 2010, 13:53

My first project with Dip Trace required some odd shape ground pours (analog mixed with digital). One of the shapes was circular another one had multiple edges with precise lengths. Ultimately I did complete the layout but it wasn’t easy.
To make things more frustrating I had those shapes in DXF format but at the moment there is no mechanism to import DXF shapes into Dip Trace as Copper Pour outlines.
Since there is a DXF import feature already – why not extended that to Copper Pour outlines? It would broaden the capability of Dip Trace quite a bit.
There are some low cost but very sophisticated mechanical cad programs that are needed to make the enclosure anyway. (I use Alibre. See http://www.alibre.com) Why not extend Dip Trace using the capabilities of these programs?
(In some instances I use PADS 9 (Mentor Graphics) – they have such a primitive mechanical outline tool that I can’t help but wonder if trivializing mechanical issues is an industry wide problem.)

By the way I am very pleased with Dip Trace in general!

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Copper Pour shape import as DXF

#2 Post by Alex » 21 Jul 2010, 20:16

Ok, we will consider import copper pour outline from DXF file.

arcsecond

#3 Post by arcsecond » 07 Aug 2017, 14:44

It's been a while since this request ;)

Is this possible in the current version of Diptrace?

If I import a shape to Top or Bottom, the exported Gerber is empty until I add some pads.

If I draw a new copper pour shape outside of the board outline, then export the Gerber, the new shape is visible AND the imported DXF shape is also filled.

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 08 Aug 2017, 02:13

This is still not possible in the latest version. But we will try to do it for the next one.

Tomg
Expert

#5 Post by Tomg » 08 Aug 2017, 02:18

arcsecond wrote:"...If I draw a new copper pour shape outside of the board outline, then export the Gerber, the new shape is visible AND the imported DXF shape is also filled..."
That "fill" is not a single copper shape, it is just a collection of lines without the features/options/behavior of a copper pour.
Tom

arcsecond

#6 Post by arcsecond » 08 Aug 2017, 03:19

I see that... so why does adding a copper pour somewhere else on the board change an empty fill to copper?

Tomg
Expert

#7 Post by Tomg » 08 Aug 2017, 03:32

arcsecond wrote:"...why does adding a copper pour somewhere else on the board change an empty fill to copper?..."
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking why a copper pour automatically fills?
Tom

arcsecond

#8 Post by arcsecond » 08 Aug 2017, 03:38

Sorted this out. On the "Border" tab of the Copper Pour Properties dialog, you can instruct the copper pour to fill the board outline.

mgbolts

#9 Post by mgbolts » 04 Jan 2018, 03:21

Alex wrote: 08 Aug 2017, 02:13 This is still not possible in the latest version. But we will try to do it for the next one.
Hi Alex,

This is one of my personal issues with the product. In order to get a professional finish for an irregular board shape can take up to an hour chasing pts around the screen.

Its approaching 10 years since this issue was first raised, go figure.

Hope to see it in future versions )

Cheers

MarkH

#10 Post by MarkH » 17 Apr 2019, 03:53

Hi Alex,

Just running into this problem and found this thread I agree a small feature but without it has big drawbacks, it would be great if next release has lots of small feature improvments like this and lots other requests on this forum instead of aiming for the big features. Not as sexy I know but much more helpful.