Calibrating printout

Making PCB Layouts, Manual routing, Auto-routing, Copper pouring, Updating from Schematic, Manufacturing Output
rea5245

Calibrating printout

#1 Post by rea5245 » 10 Jan 2013, 23:00

Hi,

In order to ensure my PCB is the right size, I want to print from PCB Layout at 100%. But I want to be sure it's really 100% and that the printer driver, for example, is not scaling it down. I couldn't find any way to print out a ruler, so I drew a rectangle that was 8"x8". The rectangle's properties say it's in the Top Assy layer. When I print, the rectangle isn't printed. Neither is text I added.

How can I get that to print?

Thanks,
Bob

RDC

Re: Calibrating printout

#2 Post by RDC » 11 Jan 2013, 03:06

8" x 8" would be a square. ;)

Printer ink good?

Try changing your square and text to the Top Silk layer.

svoynick

Re: Calibrating printout

#3 Post by svoynick » 04 Jul 2013, 03:41

rea5245 wrote:Hi,

In order to ensure my PCB is the right size, I want to print from PCB Layout at 100%. But I want to be sure it's really 100% and that the printer driver, for example, is not scaling it down. I couldn't find any way to print out a ruler, so I drew a rectangle that was 8"x8". The rectangle's properties say it's in the Top Assy layer. When I print, the rectangle isn't printed. Neither is text I added.

How can I get that to print?

Thanks,
Bob
(I realize this is an old post that I'm bumping, but just in case someone else stumbles upon this issue in the future...)

I do exactly what you are doing, and I can get it to print out no problem. If you're not already doing it this way, go to the "File | Preview..." feature, and you can see a preview of what will be printed. Pull down the "Objects" list, and you'll be able to turn on or off layers like "Assy", "Silk", "Dimensions", etc. This gives you great control over what gets printed.

I actually create several extra, custom, non-signal layers for my various notations. I have one layer just for my "Fab Drawing" with board outline dimensions, a big block of notes to my board vendor, etc. So I turn that one "On" when I produce the fab drawing. On my current project, I'm not doing "multi-up" boards on a panel, so I have a layer called "SMD Clear Zone" that shows a border around my board edges to keep clear of SMD parts for the fixturing clamps during assembly. I need this visible sometimes as a check, but I don't want it there always, nor do I want it printed on my Fab Drawing, so I turn it off then. I like being able to create my own "scratch" layers, instead of having to shove everything in on the "Assy" layers. And like those other layers, I can turn on and off my individual custom layers in the "Preview" facility, before printing.

(...and I say your 8" x 8" figure can still be correctly referred to as a "rectangle.")