Report of all components that use a specific pattern: how?

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
phoenix710

Report of all components that use a specific pattern: how?

#1 Post by phoenix710 » 20 Mar 2018, 08:24

All:

I use version 2.4 and have entered more than 200 schematics and done their PCB layouts (including prototype runs). Let it suffice to say that I really like DipTrace and intend to continue using it a long time. I also have a great deal of experience in the creation of patterns, components and libraries. I have more than 30 custom pattern libraries and more than 25 custom component libraries comprisIng hundreds of devices.

It should come as no surprise to say that device manufacturers like to create their own layouts, even when there is a relatively standard one that is really close and which probably would work perfectly. As a result, when I first created the patterns a few years ago I was pretty paranoid about matching the manufacturers specs exactly. Now, after a couple hundred successful PCB designs, I've learned that some reasonable compromises can be made to consolidate the patterns. Basically, I want to create and enforce my own "standard" patterns which I know, from all the prototypes that I've created, will work perfectly well for my product line.

So, the question: how can I generate a report of which patterns are used by which components?

Finding the pattern from the component is easy; I simply don't want to have to search through each of the component libraries component by component to find the pattern it uses. Rather, ideally, I'd be in the Pattern editor and be able to find/generate a list of all components which use it (that is, going the other way around, so to speak).

It seems that this should be a built-in report, but I can't find it anywhere. When you have dozens of libraries (built-in or custom, it doesn't really matter), there seems to be no way of efficiently doing this in version 2.4. This really is a global database-type operation.

If there was even a manual way of scanning the actual component library file, that would be acceptable. But, I've looked at both the ELI and LIB files and they are binary, so that approach appears moot. (And, I don't really have the time or desire to hack them... Maybe someone has??)

The BOM does contain the pattern/component correlation (assuming you've included it), but only for a single board. So, it really isn't useful.

-----------------
And, for those interested (and for a number of posts I've seen in this forum), I've learned that components don't automatically refresh when the pattern is changed. So, anytime I change a pattern, a very manual workflow is required to keep everything in sync. You MUST:
1. Save the pattern library.
2. Open the component.
3. Select the same pattern again for that component; OK, close the dialog.
4. Save the component library.
5. Open the schematic and select the component.
6. Select "Update from Library".
7. Save the schematic.
8. Open the PCB file.
9. CTRL-ALT-U to update the PCB from the schematic source (assuming that the PCB is associated with the schematic - highly recommended).
10. Tweak the trace and component layout as needed.
11. Save the PCB file.
12. Regenerate the 3D file as needed.

It would be wonderful if this workflow was automatic, but it is what it is...

Thanks, Dave
The SiliconHacker

Tomg
Expert

Re: Report of all components that use a specific pattern: how?

#2 Post by Tomg » 20 Mar 2018, 09:49

Have you tried copying a library to an ASCII file? Library > Export > DipTrace ASCII...
Tom

phoenix710

#3 Post by phoenix710 » 20 Mar 2018, 10:12

Tomg:

I did, from the Pattern Library Manager - but (somehow!) not from the Component Library Manager. Yes, the Patterns are listed - great suggestion!

So, my workflow will be to export each component library, then use the Agent Ransack app to search all the ASC files written for the string ' (Pattern " '. I'll have to rescan each file to determine what the component it was in (since it's not on the same line as the Pattern). It's tedious but will work.

Thanks much!
Dave
The SiliconHacker

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 21 Mar 2018, 02:54

You can use Search (Filter) function to find components by pattern name. See attached screenshots.
Attachments
search_by_pattern.png
search_by_pattern.png (42.89 KiB) Viewed 245 times

phoenix710

#5 Post by phoenix710 » 21 Mar 2018, 03:16

Alex:
As Dave Jones is fond of saying: "Brilliant!" I looked at the Filter function, but missed how it works. This is a very good solution and will enable me to safely consolidate my patterns.

Thank you very much for the tip!
Dave
The SiliconHacker