Question on library component

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
schemer

Question on library component

#1 Post by schemer » 19 Oct 2019, 15:27

I finally have started to learn DipTrace and I already figured out the axial resistor sizes, but I need the component for a PRC fuse:

RXEF010 XF010 60V/72V 0.1A 100MA PPTC Resettable Fuse

Is that something that exists in the components but maybe I don't see the name as it is different? If not, what is the best component to copy and then modify to create one for my own library?
Thanks ;)

Tomg
Expert

Re: Question on library component

#2 Post by Tomg » 21 Oct 2019, 16:06

If I understand the datasheet correctly, you will need to create a custom pattern for your polyswitch (varistor?) with a name such as "VAR-5x2.6/7.4x1.07". You should double-check my dimensions before committing. The pads are an estimate using the documented lead diameter of 0.5106mm (24AWG) plus 0.15mm for lead clearance, rounded up to a final hole diameter of 0.7mm. The ring diameter is the hole diameter plus 0.6mm. The odd dimension from the datasheet is the 3mm vertical (Y-axis) distance between what appears to be the outer edges of the two pad holes. Why they didn't specify the vertical (Y-axis) distance between hole centers is beyond me. Maybe someone else here can explain?
ds.gif
ld.gif
pattern3.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom

schemer

#3 Post by schemer » 22 Oct 2019, 18:08

Thanks Tom. I will use this info and see what I can come up with. For some reason I don't think they have the leads like the datasheet shows so I will grab one of them and double check. I guess they are a bit out of line but I think some pads in line with each other would work too. Another question. How much larger should a hole be drilled before it is considered wrong? The reason I ask is some people just use a few sizes of drills even thought the hole size is a bit loose.
Thanks,
schemer
ptc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 22 Oct 2019, 21:33

Beats me what is correct or incorrect. You just have to make sure there is enough clearance in the hole to be able to easily insert the lead and allow solder to flow through to both sides, yet not too much of a gap so as to compromise the mechanical connection. A cursory search yielded this promising site showing calculations for three different component loading densities - http://www.pcb-3d.com/tutorials/how-to- ... -standards
Tom

schemer

#5 Post by schemer » 22 Oct 2019, 22:11

Thanks Tom. Good info.
schemer