Custom swell and shrink in Pattern Editor

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
Carl_K

Custom swell and shrink in Pattern Editor

#1 Post by Carl_K » 01 Aug 2021, 23:20

Hello,

I created a pattern for a component in the pattern editor.
Some of the pads need a custom swell of 0.07mm for the solder mask and a custom shrink of 0.025 for the solder paste.
I selected those pads and right-click "Paste/Mak settings" to change the settings accordingly. The dialog already changed the "Apply to" to "Selected pads".
Saved the pattern, created a component and saved it with this pattern attached.

However those swell and shrink settings are not visible in the exported Gerber.
If I right-click on any of the offending pads in the "PCB Layout editor", the settings are not there.
If I change the settings from the "PCB Layout Editor", the exported Gerber is correct with the right shrink and swell.

Is it a known bug ? Or do I miss something in the way I create my pattern ?
Diptrace v3.3.1.3

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Custom swell and shrink in Pattern Editor

#2 Post by Alex » 03 Aug 2021, 20:01

Ok, you created a component and attached a pattern with custom mask swell and paste shrink settings. What is the next?
If you delete existing component in PCB Layout and place updated component you just created you will see custom mask/paste settings. But if you renew component from library, new settings won't be applied because existing mask/paste settings in PCB Layout have higher priority than those settings from library.

Carl_K

Re: Custom swell and shrink in Pattern Editor

#3 Post by Carl_K » 03 Aug 2021, 22:25

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the reply.
Indeed you are correct, I changed the swell and shrink settings of my pattern after generating the PCB layout. Usually in such cases I change the part in the schematic (and check "Replace pattern"), save the schematic, and update the PCB layout from the related schematic.
After reading your answer I created a new schematic with just the part (that has the specific swell and shrink settings) and converted it to a PCB layout. The generated gerber files are correct this time.

So thank you for your help, I will try to remember that.

Best regards,
Carl