Unable to import an existing library

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
alpha32

Unable to import an existing library

#1 Post by alpha32 » 30 Nov 2021, 15:24

I am trying to import an existing pattern library into the pattern library. In the pattern editor I am clicking Library>Library Setup. On the left hand side of the popup window "User Patterns" is highlighted. I click Add Library and find "Petes Pattern Library.lib, click on the file and click on Open. Nothing happens! The file is 64K in size. Please tell me where I am going wrong.

Tomg
Expert

Re: Unable to import an existing library

#2 Post by Tomg » 01 Dec 2021, 03:52

Things that come to mind right now...
* Library file names can be different from the "Name" assigned to be displayed in the library list (Library > Name and Hint...).
* Duplicate file names will not be added to the library Group, regardless of the assigned display "Name".
* Check to see if the new library has the same file name as one of the existing libraries in the Group. (Use the operating system's file explorer to check for duplicate file names.)
Tom

alpha32

#3 Post by alpha32 » 01 Dec 2021, 13:46

Thanks for your reply. I searched the computer for a duplicate file name but none. The same problem is happening with the Component Editor. I searched for pattern names using Pattern Tools>Find pattern but no result. I know the patterns are somewhere because they are in a PCB layout or can a layout contain components that are not in a library.

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 01 Dec 2021, 14:58

Double-clicking on a component in the PCB Layout editor will bring up the Component Properties dialog window where you will find its library's complete file path in the upper-right corner. If no library file path is listed, then the component may have been placed from an external source without saving to a user library. (e.g. Objects > Search Parts at SnapEDA... > specify, find and select the desired component > [Place Component])
Tom