rename internal library name

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
DrOldies

rename internal library name

#1 Post by DrOldies » 06 Dec 2021, 09:54

I have 2 libraries on my 2 PCs that have different file names by the same internal name "myLibrary" displayed by DT. I don't see an option to change the displayed name.

I wanted to merge these but from the comments here it's very time consuming and can lead to duplicates or missed entries.

Tomg
Expert

Re: rename internal library name

#2 Post by Tomg » 06 Dec 2021, 16:06

First, create backups for your libraries.
...I don't see an option to change the displayed name...
While in the Pattern or Component editor select/highlight the desired library. In the main menu click on "Library" and choose "Name and Hint of (library name) Library..." to bring up the "Library Name and Hint" dialog window. Make the changes you need and resave the library.
...I wanted to merge these but from the comments here it's very time consuming and can lead to duplicates or missed entries...
It can be time-consuming, but not impossible. The contents of one library can easily be imported/copied into another (use the "Insert Components from Another Library" tool). Once imported sort the components (use the "Sort Components..." tool), scroll through the library's components list and select/highlight all of the duplicate library names and delete them (use the hotkey combination [Ctrl] + [Delete]). Run the "Check (library name) Library..." tool to look for missed duplicates. If everything looks OK resave the library.
Tom