Adding 3D model to SnapEDA downloaded component

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
rick.curl
Expert

Adding 3D model to SnapEDA downloaded component

#1 Post by rick.curl » 12 Apr 2022, 10:45

I thought I was getting pretty good at adding components to libraries, but I just tripped myself up somehow. I needed to add an LM675T to a schematic. There was not one in any of my libraries, but SnapEDA had it. I can easily download the SnapEDA component and add it to my user library, but here's where I get stuck: Normally the footprint would be in my pattern library- and I know how to add a 3D model there, but in this case the pattern is "TO170P1016X470X2092-5", so it is apparently generated on the fly rather than being in my user library- so how do I add the 3D model?

I'm sure there is a simple way to do it, but I just can't find it.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

-Rick

Tomg
Expert

Re: Adding 3D model to SnapEDA downloaded component

#2 Post by Tomg » 12 Apr 2022, 15:08

...needed to add an LM675T to a schematic. There was not one in any of my libraries...
DipTrace v4.2.0.1 has the National Semiconductor LM675T in its standard libraries; specifically "ic_linear_amplifiers". It uses the pattern named "TO170P1054X470X2092-5" from the "TO-220 Pitch 1.70mm Staggered" pattern library with a dynamically-generated 3D model.
...it is apparently generated on the fly rather than being in my user library- so how do I add the 3D model?...
If you need a separate copy of a dynamically-generated 3D model for your own purposes, open a new/blank instance of the PCB Layout editor, drop the pattern into the Design Area (try to center it around the origin), open the 3D Preview tool and export only the package as a STEP file to a convenient location.
Tom