Components and Libraries Confusing

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
jazzjohn

Components and Libraries Confusing

#1 Post by jazzjohn » 26 Dec 2022, 09:56

I've been using Schematic and PCB layout for years but to this day am still confused by the very non-intuitive component creation and library navigation.

For example, I go to save a component to a "library" which I assume is a collection of components. However, the "Save As" dialog window only allows to "Save as type:" and the only choice is "Component Libraries (*.eli) "

Is this a component or a library?

I would like to save the component as a component IN a library.

What am I missing ?

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Components and Libraries Confusing

#2 Post by Alex » 27 Dec 2022, 06:48

"Save as" allows to save existing library with new file name while "Save" saves the library with the same file name. That is the only difference.
If you want to append a component to existing component library, you can do things in different order. Open existing component library in Component Editor, add new (blank) component to the library, then build the component. When done, save the library.

jazzjohn

#3 Post by jazzjohn » 28 Dec 2022, 08:03

OK, so always start with a library and then save a component in that library by re-saving the whole library. From other apps, I am used to creating a new component and then saving the component in the library of my choice.

What if I want to start with a component from another library, modify the component and save in a different library?
Thanks.

farley

#4 Post by farley » 29 Dec 2022, 02:52

Searching "managing libraries in diptrace" in Google returns this link as the first result:
viewtopic.php?t=10937
That should get you started.