RefDes scrambled in multi part component

Making your own components and patterns, organizing and using libraries.
rovman

RefDes scrambled in multi part component

#1 Post by rovman » 29 Nov 2012, 09:42

I created an 11 pin header as one component with 11 parts as shown below.
However when I place it in a schematic and show the pin numbers they are in order but the RefDes are randomly different. For example pin1 may be J2 and pin8 may be J7
Any suggestions? I only have a few days experience so may be doing something stupid.

Create 11 pin Header
Open Component Editor; Schematic>Tools>Component Editor or direct from Launcher.
Library>Open>Select My Libraries>My Discretes>Open
Component>Add New to Library, Name as Hdr11 and RefDes as J. (in Properties box)
Component>Create Similar Parts, enter 11, call Part Pin (Component Properties box), each part is now Pin (1) to Pin (11)
Pin Manager, select line, Add, change Number to match Pin #, length to .05
Zoom in on pin, flip horizontal, select arrow from toolbar, draw from left side .15 (0.05 grid).
Normal mode, move pin to center (Edit>Center Symbol).
Pattern>under Library click left Add>select C:\Program Files\Dip Trace\Headers>HDR1x11>OK>
Close Lock, Library>Save

A second issue is that the RefDes is too far from the pin and the pins have uneven spacing and are not as close as I would like.
If I move the RefDes (F10) and all the pins neatly together then save to library they are messed up again next time I place them.

I have lots more questions but this will have to do for now.

-- 30 Nov 2012, 10:02 --

Here is some additional information:
When I select a component in the left panel and click on the schematic all 11 parts are placed.
I was having trouble yesterday with the RefDes not matching the pad number but today they seem OK. I did try closing and opening the various programs yesterday but I was still getting the problem.
I'm not sure what fixed it today but I now don't trust it. If the pin numbers are not shown and it mis-matches the RefDes then the PCB is a mess although it appears to be correct.
Has anyone else experienced this problem of mis-matched RefDes?

This leaves the second problem which may not have a cure.
The 11 parts (pins of the header) are placed spread out. Some are 0.350" and some 0.300" apart. I would like them 0.150" apart.
The RefDes (J1.1, J1.2, etc) are too far from the pins (by 0.05" too high).
I know I can edit them by moving and F10 but it would be nice for them to place as a neat block. If there were more, say 22, it would be more annoying, more work.
I have tried moving them then selecting all and locking them and saving to the library but when I place them they are spread out again.
I also tried grouping then saving them but again they spread out when they are placed.

-- 01 Dec 2012, 19:36 --

I just had it happen again (the scrambled RefDes) and conclude it was because I selected all 8 part of the 8 pin header and flipped them horizontal (remember this is not the single header in DipTrace).
The way to prevent this scrambling is to place the components, select all of them then:
RtClk>Group>RtClk>Flip Horiz>RtClk>Ungroup
Another thing is that you cannot Flip Vertical even with grouping and Rotating without Grouping will make a big mess. This also applies to selected patterns in PCB.
To flip vertical a multi-part component like these Headers group them as above and rotate twice.

It would be nice if someone could jump in and confirm what I'm saying, or call me stupid and tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Also see my other post on "How and where are attached patterns stored" for interesting trials.

-- 01 Dec 2012, 19:48 --

Another interesting problem is in replacing a multi-part component without deleting the wires.
When I select all of the multi part header pins and RtClk>Group>Disconnect wires only the wire on the part I click on is disconnected. I must disconnect them one by one in order to delete the components. I can't use Replace Part because I get a warning and nothing happens. It probably makes sense but I'm not sure why, even for a 4 part NOR gate for example.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: RefDes scrambled in multi part component

#2 Post by Alex » 03 Dec 2012, 02:34

Are you sure you need multi-part component for the connector? It looks like you need one part with 11 pins, but you create 11 parts with 1 pin. Then you are worrying about part RefDes, but you should pay attention on pin numbers. Every pin has number, every pad in attached pattern has number too. Pin and pad are linked if they have the same number.

Anyway, if you need multi-part component with one pin in each part, please make sure that pin numbers and part numbers are the same for all parts.

rovman

Re: RefDes scrambled in multi part component

#3 Post by rovman » 03 Dec 2012, 03:21

Thanks for the reply Alex, I want to be able to move groups of pins around independently and place them in different order, 8 on a PIC port and 3 on a Pot for example.
I know I can use a net and have no wires, or a single header and have many wires crossing but I like my schematics to be easily readable.

I used HDR11 for Name, P for RefDes and Pin for Part in Component properties.
I get 11 tabs at the bottom of Component Editor marked Pin (1), Pin (2), etc
The component places in Schematic as 11 pins marked P1.1, P1.2, etc and with matching pin numbers if I select Pin Numbers>Show.

The mismatch between RefDes and pin numbers seems to happen if I flip horiz without grouping first. But I'm not positive on this. I now group first and everything seems OK.
The spacing of pins and RefDes is something I must live with and edit in schematic (F10 etc), unless you have a suggestion.
Peter.