PCB Layout editor - Hide Silk Drawings

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
Tomg
Expert

PCB Layout editor - Hide Silk Drawings

#1 Post by Tomg » 30 Apr 2018, 00:57

Add a switch to the component right-click context menu of the PCB Layout editor that allows the user to hide/suppress all silkscreen objects of the selected component(s), but not the standard Component Markings. As an example, it could be called "Hide Silk Drawings" and look something like this...
hsd.gif
hsd.gif (50.21 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
Tom

dtu2
Expert

Re: PCB Layout editor - Hide Silk Drawings

#2 Post by dtu2 » 30 Apr 2018, 07:03

+1000

This and resizable windows have been two of the most needed basic features from the beginning.

Why?

Because without this option you need to duplicate every part in BOTH of your Pattern and then Component libraries for each part that you need a 'with' and 'without' silkscreen option. And if you want to change from 'with' to 'without' silkscreen, you need to go back to the schematic, make the changes and then up date the pcb.

Not only does this take more wasted time and effort it's just one more place for errors to occur.

But most of all because pattern & component library names are already severely limited in size by the non-resizable window and to add a name 'differentiator' takes just that much more space.

I have hundreds (if not more) duplicate patterns and components just to compensate for this lacking feature.

It seems Novarm is only apt to implement feature requests based on popularity so, as a user, please echo your support for this request.

Jeff
Jeff

DaveD

#3 Post by DaveD » 24 May 2018, 12:31

+1

For all the reasons listed above.

this really should be easy to add.

TANK

#4 Post by TANK » 12 Jun 2018, 08:50

+1 for me also

DaveD

#5 Post by DaveD » 17 Aug 2018, 18:03

I agree. Not being able to turn off the silk screen for a part with editing the pattern is a waste of time. I run into this issue on nearly every board.

+1 on the resizable windows as well.

KevinA

#6 Post by KevinA » 18 Aug 2018, 02:37

dtu2 wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 07:03 +1000

This and resizable windows have been two of the most needed basic features from the beginning.

Why?

Because without this option you need to duplicate every part in BOTH of your Pattern and then Component libraries for each part that you need a 'with' and 'without' silkscreen option. And if you want to change from 'with' to 'without' silkscreen, you need to go back to the schematic, make the changes and then up date the pcb.

Not only does this take more wasted time and effort it's just one more place for errors to occur.

But most of all because pattern & component library names are already severely limited in size by the non-resizable window and to add a name 'differentiator' takes just that much more space.

I have hundreds (if not more) duplicate patterns and components just to compensate for this lacking feature.

It seems Novarm is only apt to implement feature requests based on popularity so, as a user, please echo your support for this request.

Jeff
SDI of MDI are two different methods of building a GUI, I prefer MDI for CAD programs since I can move widows to a second monitor freeing up the drawing area. The only PCB program I have dealt with that allows window docking is AutoTRAX DEX and it only allows docking of the main drawing windows not tool pallets. Ideally Novarm will look at TurboCAD's GUI, it has been a work in progress for over 30 years. BUT going from SDI to MDI requires a massive effort in time and money, I can only hope they address the ability to produce artwork that can be used to build without the need to use external applications before they start on a new GUI....

On the left Parts Window: Right Click -> Width: Normal, Medium, Large Large is 25 charters
As I build a project each part being used is add to that projects library and customized for that project, I find changing Silk Screens to the Assembly layer cleans up the clutter while allowing me to assemble the board.

dackley

#7 Post by dackley » 24 Sep 2018, 05:31

+ 1000 for me too

I'm new to DipTrace and this is the only problem I've had that didn't have a reasonable/workable workaround!!

dackley

#8 Post by dackley » 24 Sep 2018, 06:58

UPDATE
I've discovered the following process that seems to be a reasonable workaround.
WARNING: I haven't yet had a board fabricated using this technique, SO THIS IS AN UNPROVEN WORKAROUND!
1. Export the Silk Screen as a Gerber file from DipTrace PCB Layout program.
2. Import the Silk Screen Gerber file into DipTrace PCB Layout program.
3. Edit Silk Screen in DipTrace PCB Layout program.
4. ReExport Silk Screen as a Gerber file, replacing the origional Silk Screen Gerber file.

dackley

#9 Post by dackley » 05 Oct 2018, 02:42

SUCCESS
My proposed work around process worked just fine to generate a board using OSHpark.
The only tweek I needed to add was a corner mark on the silk screen at the board's origin, otherwise the silk screen wasn't properly aligned.
Thus my work around process is:
1. Add Silk Screen corner mark at board origin in the lower left corner of the board.
2. Export all Gerber and Drill files for shipment to board fabracator.
3. Import Silk Screen Gerber file back into DipTrace PCB Layout program.
4. Edit/cleanup Silk Screen in DipTrace PCB Layout program.
5. ReExport Silk Screen as a Gerber file replacing the original Silk Screen Gerber file.
6. Send updated Gerber and Drill files off to board fabracator.

gedaso

#10 Post by gedaso » 19 Aug 2019, 14:48

+1000 for this feature also. Hacking with gerbers is not an acceptable workaround.