Are there plans for native Diptrace on Linux ?

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
bird

Are there plans for native Diptrace on Linux ?

#1 Post by bird » 05 Nov 2021, 16:32

Hi, quite large body of the EE developers are working on Linux these days. Especially developers of networks and also embedded IoT. Diptrace is one of the popular and (for me) non-replaceable tool which ties us back to Windows.
I'm wondering if Diptrace team is considering eventually to do porting natively to Linux OS. Ubuntu? Hah :?:

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Are there plans for native Diptrace on Linux ?

#2 Post by Alex » 08 Nov 2021, 02:26

DipTrace works fine on Linux under Wine. We strongly recommend to use stable version of Wine and install 32-bit version of DipTrace.
Native DipTrace on Linux won't appear in near future but everything is possible in further future with cross-platform compiler.

bird

#3 Post by bird » 08 Nov 2021, 07:19

Thank you Alex for update. I've seeing quite a number of complaints on this forum related to running DP over Linux/wine. This might be related to the older versions of DP and Wine , prior to the current DP version.
Thanks again
Vlad

dieterv

#4 Post by dieterv » 26 Nov 2021, 09:27

I definitely would second that suggestion. Wine works. Sometimes. Depending on the configuration.
Still, marking "Linux" as a supported OS and then having to use Wine doesn't really feel right. It's like saying "we support Windows (for a native Linux program)", and then saying to your customer "install a virtual machine" on your Linux Box and run Windows inside it.
It might work, but it is a hassle.

JaneAlora

#5 Post by JaneAlora » 10 Dec 2021, 19:59

I think it should be considered because I am using linux.

Kaffeeapparat

#6 Post by Kaffeeapparat » 22 Dec 2021, 09:59

Allthough I never had a long lasting good experience with Diptrace under Linux, I would assume that most people wont get the stable most recent (32 bit) wine version through their repository package politics...

Maybe add the note that it works with that paticular 32 bit wine version on the installation page.
That note could have and maybe will save me a lot of frustration in the future.

KevinA

#7 Post by KevinA » 22 Dec 2021, 15:26

Alex wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 02:26 DipTrace works fine on Linux under Wine. We strongly recommend to use stable version of Wine and install 32-bit version of DipTrace.
Native DipTrace on Linux won't appear in near future but everything is possible in further future with cross-platform compiler.
Simple fix: Latest stable build: 4.2.0.1 (November 18, 2021). Supported OS: 10 2015 / 11 2021; Mac OS Catalina 2019 / Big Sur 2020 / Monterey 2021.
(Focus on code not obsolete OS support, let it go)
The issues with Linux is it is Linux, never ending maintenance in thirty different programming languages built by thousands. I have two Linux boxes with dedicated programming environments setup, one for Nvidia GPU vision work and one for Nordic low power cellular IOT work. In the end it was cheaper to just buy new boxes then continue wasting time hunting down issues.

Hangnail999

#8 Post by Hangnail999 » 10 Jan 2022, 07:37

I have DipTrace working well on Linux Mint 20.3 (Una) running under Wine.
Since all new Linux Mint releases are 64-bit only, you need to load the 32-bit version of Wine.
Here's the short version of how to get it working:
Check if your system is 32-bit or 64-bit:
lscpu
If it returns "64-bit" then you can load LM 20.3.
After installation:
sudo nano /etc/environment
Add: WINEARCH=win32
Reboot computer
sudo apt-get install wine32
sudo apt-get install winehq-stable
Check Wine is working:
wine --version
wine clock
Download DipTrace (32-bit version)
Go to Downloads folder and double-click the executable. In final dialog box, un-tick "Yes, launch the program file".
Click Finish.
In terminal window go to: ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/DipTrace
wine Schematic.exe
Program will fail to start and you will see a lot of warnings, but also an error about: SECUR32_initNTLMSP, etc.
Fix error:
sudo apt-get install winbind
Removes error, but now fails with X error of failed request: GLXbadFBConfig, etc.
export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5
DipTrace schematic will now start from command line.
To get DipTrace to start from the menu:
Add: MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5
to: /etc/environment
and then reboot.
Enjoy!

diptracy

#9 Post by diptracy » 23 May 2022, 07:05

I followed this handy guide and can confirm I have diptrace working lovely on linux mint :mrgreen: Even the 3d rendering seems to work great. Bit surprised to be honest as I am very new to Linux :lol:

I just have one question though. I noticed that the components aren't being rendered on the 3d, I realized that I needed to download the 3d library to get this to work. Is there a place you have to extract the files for diptrace to realize they are there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Alex
Technical Support

#10 Post by Alex » 25 May 2022, 18:40

diptracy wrote: 23 May 2022, 07:05 I followed this handy guide and can confirm I have diptrace working lovely on linux mint :mrgreen: Even the 3d rendering seems to work great. Bit surprised to be honest as I am very new to Linux :lol:

I just have one question though. I noticed that the components aren't being rendered on the 3d, I realized that I needed to download the 3d library to get this to work. Is there a place you have to extract the files for diptrace to realize they are there?

Any help would be appreciated.
You can save 3D models anywhere then open "Tools -> 3D Preivew -> Patterns and Models Search" in PCB Layout and add path to 3D models folder.