Fetch a part in PCB layout

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
rick.curl
Expert

Fetch a part in PCB layout

#1 Post by rick.curl » 15 Jul 2015, 16:33

Maybe my computer is just slow, but when I am placing parts on a new PCB layout it takes a long time to drag a part from it's default location to a new preferred location.
Here's my suggestion to speed things up. Move the cursor to the location where you want to place a part and click the right button. Right now you have two options; Paste, and Empty clipboard. My suggestion is to add a "fetch" option to the context menu so that when you click on it the cursor jumps to the Design Manager. Scroll down and select the part you wish to place and it would immediately snap to the location where the cursor was when the "fetch" option was selected.

Thanks for your consideration!

-Rick

kimsmith

Re: Fetch a part in PCB layout

#2 Post by kimsmith » 07 Nov 2015, 00:54

You can look in Cadsoft's searchable collection of Eagle libraries.

jay_rogers

#3 Post by jay_rogers » 10 Nov 2015, 09:56

rick.curl wrote:Maybe my computer is just slow, but when I am placing parts on a new PCB layout it takes a long time to drag a part from it's default location to a new preferred location.
Here's my suggestion to speed things up. Move the cursor to the location where you want to place a part and click the right button. Right now you have two options; Paste, and Empty clipboard. My suggestion is to add a "fetch" option to the context menu so that when you click on it the cursor jumps to the Design Manager. Scroll down and select the part you wish to place and it would immediately snap to the location where the cursor was when the "fetch" option was selected.

Thanks for your consideration!

-Rick
Hey,

It is a good idea! But still I found drag and drop is easy.

rick.curl
Expert

#4 Post by rick.curl » 22 Jul 2019, 11:44

Having this feature would have saved me a couple of hours over the last few days. Any chance of considering it?

Thanks!

-Rick

friesen

#5 Post by friesen » 17 Aug 2019, 14:50

It’s a good suggestion.

An alternative would be left click a pad, then get a drop down of net connected parts, take me to, or bring to me a part. This would save the current zoom out, search by schematic, or other cumbersome method as it is now.

rick.curl
Expert

#6 Post by rick.curl » 19 Aug 2019, 16:36

Thanks Friesen- that would also be a good way to do it.

For the lucky people who have a hugely powerful computer, drag and drop is fine- but when you've got an underpowered machine and you're working on a really big layout, all that panning takes forever.

-Rick