Library Search

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
Message
Author
User avatar
KevinA
Posts: 476
Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 15:35

Library Search

#1 Post by KevinA » 08 Jul 2017, 00:38

Please add parameters to search on: I tried to find a right angle 2.54 Center to Center, DuPont Thru Hole, 3 position. After 35 minutes of searching Mouser.com and pasting the manufactures part number for ALL parts that fit my description I got nothing, every time I searched I would get the No Response around 52% and then it would finish with no part found. This is a stupid HEADER, every PCB made has some on it (most anyway) yet I can not find one in the library! That's it for the night, to upset to keep trying. 104347-1 TE part # http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/418/NG_CD_10 ... 644891.pdf
I don't need the lock pin but this is an example of the right angle header.

Another day:
The problem was/is obsolete part numbers as in 644456-3 in DipTrace Library but 3-644456-3 at Mouser.com. Yet 640453-3 (right angle header) in DipTrace and Mouser.com

-- 10 Jul 2017, 11:11 --

Still trying to learn how to find parts:
I added attributes to a connector then tried to 'Find' using the attributes but I can not. In the Help it does NOT say how to search on an attribute. I found I can add PINS=3 but to search I have to enter 3 which brings up anything with a 3 not just PINS.
Image

This means I can not use Additional Fields for a search/find operation.

fluxanode
Posts: 84
Joined: 28 Feb 2014, 21:15

Re: Library Search

#2 Post by fluxanode » 20 Jul 2017, 17:21

I have had the same issues with Molex and Phoenix contact parts. Can't believe no one had responded to your post.

Tomg
Expert
Posts: 1543
Joined: 20 Jun 2015, 14:39

Re: Library Search

#3 Post by Tomg » 21 Jul 2017, 08:14

I have a custom component library of 3M's 2300-series headers and a folder containing all of the needed 3D models (*.stp). The pins of the right-angle version of this connector are a little closer to the board surface than TE's version. If you're interested in a copy let me know where you will be keeping the 3D models folder (exact file path name) and I'll set up the component library to look for the 3D models there. This library will come from DipTrace v3.1 so if you're using an older version let me know and I'll provide the component library's ASCII export file instead. Since the patterns are already attached to the components, I won't include the custom pattern library. If you need to store the patterns in a custom pattern library, just pull them out of the component library using the "Insert Patterns from Another Library..." tool found in the Pattern Editor. I have included additional fields such as Pitch (e.g. 0.100" & 2.54mm), Circuits (e.g. 3), Details (e.g. Male & Header), Voltage (e.g. 100V), Current (e.g. 3A), Orientation (e.g. Vertical or Horizontal & R/A) and Termination (e.g. PTH & Through Hole). The 3D models folder is over 38MB compressed, which I hope won't become a problem trying to post here. As always, I cannot guarantee a proper fit or fire resistance. Double check all connections, pin numbers and dimensions before using.
Tom

User avatar
KevinA
Posts: 476
Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 15:35

Re: Library Search

#4 Post by KevinA » 21 Jul 2017, 10:39

Tomg wrote: As always, I cannot guarantee a proper fit or fire resistance.
Fire? :o
I looked into the library location issues after my fiasco with diptracebeta/diptrace31 and found I could make a directory C:\diptrace\ all libraries without the usual User name:C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\DipTrace31\My Libraries
Is there an interchange location DipTrace users can standardize on?
Still feel DipTrace using relative paths would end this.

Tomg
Expert
Posts: 1543
Joined: 20 Jun 2015, 14:39

Re: Library Search

#5 Post by Tomg » 21 Jul 2017, 11:10

KevinA wrote:"...Fire?..."
Just one of my feeble attempts at humor.
KevinA wrote:"...I looked into the library location issues after my fiasco with diptracebeta/diptrace31 and found I could make a directory C:\diptrace\ all libraries without the usual User name:C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\DipTrace31\My Libraries
Is there an interchange location DipTrace users can standardize on?
Not to my knowledge.

I can set up the component library to look in "C:\diptrace\all libraries" for the 3D models if that is what you want. Or would you prefer a subfolder like "C:\diptrace\all libraries\3D"? All I need is a specific path name. Since I have done this many times before, it's a simple and quick task for me.
Tom

User avatar
KevinA
Posts: 476
Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 15:35

Re: Library Search

#6 Post by KevinA » 21 Jul 2017, 13:31

I can set up the component library to look in "C:\diptrace\all libraries" for the 3D models if that is what you want. Or would you prefer a subfolder like "C:\diptrace\all libraries\3D"? All I need is a specific path name. Since I have done this many times before, it's a simple and quick task for me.
I would think just C:\diptrace would be a good root but below that gets into how organized one wants to be:
library
component
pattern
combined
3d
pdf
project

Since C:\diptrace is the start of a portable system the other stuff in C:\Users\Kevin\Documents\DipTrace31\My Libraries (soon to be diptrace again) can stay where it is as you migrate your custom libraries out of documents to the C:\diptrace, add C:\diptrace to the backup or just build a link.
I know that under the library folder just putting all the .lib and .eli should be fine, looking at lib it is easy to find things. The project is the hard one:
Project
- Name
- - library
- - pdf
- - 3d
~ repeat for all projects making a project portable.
Like I say, many different ways to organize but if we set one then we can exchange projects without the hassle of reconfiguring library paths

-- 21 Jul 2017, 11:52 --
fluxanode wrote:I have had the same issues with Molex and Phoenix contact parts. Can't believe no one had responded to your post.
The problem is some vendors have complete systems tied into the part vendors so it is a snap to look up a part, do price comparisons, download the CAM files, complete the project with a bill of material verified current on part availability and price. You pay for this conveyance, a lot, $168 a month, CIIVA. If I was a job shop with many designers this would be a cheap price to pay. Check out EDAConnect Data Sheet For Oracle/Agile PLM if you want to scare yourself... To add something like that to DipTrace would require an API to hook into.

User avatar
KevinA
Posts: 476
Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 15:35

Re: Library Search

#7 Post by KevinA » 25 Jun 2018, 13:39

Tomg wrote:
21 Jul 2017, 08:14
I have a custom component library of 3M's 2300-series headers and a folder containing all of the needed 3D models (*.stp). The pins of the right-angle version of this connector are a little closer to the board surface than TE's version. If you're interested in a copy let me know where you will be keeping the 3D models folder (exact file path name) and I'll set up the component library to look for the 3D models there. This library will come from DipTrace v3.1 so if you're using an older version let me know and I'll provide the component library's ASCII export file instead. Since the patterns are already attached to the components, I won't include the custom pattern library. If you need to store the patterns in a custom pattern library, just pull them out of the component library using the "Insert Patterns from Another Library..." tool found in the Pattern Editor. I have included additional fields such as Pitch (e.g. 0.100" & 2.54mm), Circuits (e.g. 3), Details (e.g. Male & Header), Voltage (e.g. 100V), Current (e.g. 3A), Orientation (e.g. Vertical or Horizontal & R/A) and Termination (e.g. PTH & Through Hole). The 3D models folder is over 38MB compressed, which I hope won't become a problem trying to post here. As always, I cannot guarantee a proper fit or fire resistance. Double check all connections, pin numbers and dimensions before using.
Did you ever post the libraries?
Thanks

Tomg
Expert
Posts: 1543
Joined: 20 Jun 2015, 14:39

Re: Library Search

#8 Post by Tomg » 01 Jul 2018, 08:19

The attached zip folder named "3M.zip" (5.7 MB) contains custom 3M header libraries that use the following directory structure...
C:\DipTrace\Libraries\3D\3M
C:\DipTrace\Libraries\Components\3M
C:\DipTrace\Libraries\Datasheets\3M
C:\DipTrace\Libraries\Patterns\3M

This library is not complete; it is a very limited/basic collection of only two series of 3M headers. The directory structure includes the component, datasheet and pattern library files placed in their respective 3M folders. I could not include the 3D STEP files because that would have inflated the compressed file size to beyond 50 MB. If you need to change where the component library searches for supporting files (e.g. datasheets, 3D STEP files), you will have to export it as a DipTrace ASCII file, edit and perform a "search and replace" of file paths, import the modified DipTrace ASCII file and resave the library file. Be warned that I cannot guarantee these libraries to be error-free so use/modify at your own risk.
3M.zip
If you're interested I can try to upload the STEP files here in the form of several smaller zip folders, which may get everything past the forum file-size limit. Just let me know if you need them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tomg on 01 Jul 2018, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
Tom

DerekG
Posts: 98
Joined: 18 Mar 2014, 08:06
Location: Norfolk Island

Re: Library Search

#9 Post by DerekG » 01 Jul 2018, 08:54

Tomg wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 08:19
If you're interested I can try to upload the STEP files here in the form of several smaller zip folders, which may get everything past the forum file-size limit.
If anyone requests them, it is probably best to upload all the files to a public folder on dropbox etc.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

OldTechie
Posts: 6
Joined: 19 Sep 2015, 22:51

Re: Library Search

#10 Post by OldTechie » 28 Jul 2020, 11:12

Tomg wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 08:19
The attached zip folder named "3M.zip" (5.7 MB) contains custom 3M header libraries that use the following directory structure...
C:\DipTrace\Libraries\3D\3M
C:\DipTrace\Libraries\Components\3M
C:\DipTrace\Libraries\Datasheets\3M
C:\DipTrace\Libraries\Patterns\3M

This library is not complete; it is a very limited/basic collection of only two series of 3M headers. The directory structure includes the component, datasheet and pattern library files placed in their respective 3M folders. I could not include the 3D STEP files because that would have inflated the compressed file size to beyond 50 MB. If you need to change where the component library searches for supporting files (e.g. datasheets, 3D STEP files), you will have to export it as a DipTrace ASCII file, edit and perform a "search and replace" of file paths, import the modified DipTrace ASCII file and resave the library file. Be warned that I cannot guarantee these libraries to be error-free so use/modify at your own risk.
3M.zip
If you're interested I can try to upload the STEP files here in the form of several smaller zip folders, which may get everything past the forum file-size limit. Just let me know if you need them.
I'd like to have a copy of the 3D STEP files for the 3M libraries. Possible to upload them to the forum or to a file sharing location so I can download them?
Many thanks for the component and pattern libraries. I've downloaded and used a few of those parts

Dave M

Post Reply