Comp Editor: Group Flip

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
ReverseEMF

Comp Editor: Group Flip

#1 Post by ReverseEMF » 21 Feb 2019, 05:12

Here's another example where, when designing a Component, it would be wonderful to be able to group a set of objects, making up, for instance, a Component Symbol, and then do a Horizontal or Vertical flip [aka Mirror].

In other words, the ability to go, without having to edit points or redraw the dang thing, from this:
PNP Symbol with Emitter below.
PNP Symbol with Emitter below.
PNPemitterBelow01.png (7.19 KiB) Viewed 157 times
...to this:
PNP Symbol with Emitter above
PNP Symbol with Emitter above
PNPemitterAbove01.png (7.29 KiB) Viewed 157 times
In the Component Editor, it is possible to "group"-ish all the objects on a single layer, but this doesn't seem to be a help in applying any sort of mirroring function. And, I haven't found a grouping feature, or a mirroring feature in the Component Editor. Yet, having such functionality would really come in handy! Also, this would be a nice feature in the Pattern Editor.

See, I drew it the first way [with the Emitter on the bottom]. Then, while using it in schematics, realized that most of the time, I want the Emitter on the top! So, I decided to go through all my PNP transistor Components and flip them. Not too terrible, since all I have to do is move and rotate, pins #1 & #3, and then, using the Points Editor on that arrowhead, make all the negative Y coordinates positive -- then do a Copy/Paste, for all the other PNP Transistor Components -- except, not all of them have the same pin numbering -- so it gets a bit more tedious!

I also want to do the same thing for all my P-Channel MOSFET components, but that's a heck of a lot more difficult. I mean, is there an elegant way to flip this [like, without having to go in and flip the signs on all the pertinent Y coordinates]?:
P-ChMOSFET_SourceBelow01.png
P-ChMOSFET_SourceBelow01.png (4.97 KiB) Viewed 155 times
If left to evolution, would this PCB ever design itself, and what would the lead time be on that?

Tomg
Expert

Re: Comp Editor: Group Flip

#2 Post by Tomg » 21 Feb 2019, 08:39

In the Component Editor select/highlight the desired object(s) of your custom component, click on "Edit" in the Main Menu, select "Flip Group" in the drop-down menu and choose either "Horizontal" or "Vertical" in the fly-out menu.
Tom