STEP export doesn't respect project units

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
xfer

STEP export doesn't respect project units

#1 Post by xfer » 26 Feb 2019, 14:05

I design boards in mils, not millimeters. When I export from the 3D viewer, it does not respect the project units--it always exports in millimeters. Unfortunately, that causes problems with my mechanical CAD program, because it is difficult to scale to mils without having problems with preserving the integrity of the model. I have tried some file converters, which can work, but create really huge files as a result.

Can you have the STEP export comport with the declared units of the project? Thanks.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: STEP export doesn't respect project units

#3 Post by Alex » 28 Feb 2019, 10:11

There is no way to change units in STEP export. It seems STEP format requires using metric units.

farley

#4 Post by farley » 28 Feb 2019, 10:17

When I export from the 3D viewer, it does not respect the project units--it always exports in millimeters. Unfortunately, that causes problems with my mechanical CAD program
The actual size of the imported model should be independent of the units used. Which mechanical CAD software are you using?

xfer

#5 Post by xfer » 28 Mar 2019, 12:17

Max_DT wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 05:06
Go international. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... m_of_Units
I have been an MSEE for thirty years, and am well acquainted with International Units. Why do you think that response solves an problem with changing the units in STEP export? I'm dealing with a CAD issue.