Auto-Ground Via Stitching

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
aglass0fmilk

Auto-Ground Via Stitching

#1 Post by aglass0fmilk » 30 Mar 2020, 06:49

Hi again,

I am now in the stage of stitching my ground planes together in a relatively complex 4-layer board design. This is usually a quite tedious part of the process and seems like it could be easily automated (at least in part).

Since the DRC can already identify unconnected ground planes/"islands", I think it would be feasible for it to automatically place ground stitching vias while adhering to clearance rules. The designer can then go and make adjustments/add more vias as necessary.

Perhaps this is already possible through the use of the autorouter. I usually prefer to manually route my boards though.

I think most of the information required to make this feature is already available in the software so it would be a "simple addition" (though I know nothing in software is ever truly that simple ;) )

KevinA

Re: Auto-Ground Via Stitching

#2 Post by KevinA » 30 Mar 2020, 13:18

Sounds like a new menu item as you would need to define the "Copy Matrix (CM)" before hand then add the ability to remove and replace areas with a different CM. So CM 'Styles' as well as a means to draw areas for the different 'Styles'. One example would be the center pad that requires thermal relief in a pattern specified by the manufacture and another area stitching ground around antenna trances. Is there an easier way to get the same results, I don't know but I'd rather see Push&Shove done first before anything else happens, while stitching has been a pain it isn't a major time eater.

aglass0fmilk

#3 Post by aglass0fmilk » 01 Apr 2020, 00:08

I agree that this isn’t a super important feature compared to others but I think it would save a lot of manual labor with a seemingly little development cost.

The simplest implementation could be to apply a grid (with user-specified horizontal/vertical spacing) of vias connected to a given net. Then automatically remove the vias that cause DRC errors.

More complex considerations would be for blind/buried vias, etc.

RFEngineer

#4 Post by RFEngineer » 05 Apr 2020, 15:32

Ditto on this feature request. I just created a board with a double-sided ground plane and would like to automatically via-stitch both sides. This could be a sub-menu item under "Place Copper Pour." Within the sub menu, include default stitch diameter, stitch distance, and the pour's net to stitch. The Design Rules menu appears to already have via protection clearances.

Paul