Option to use TrueType fonts automatically when printing and use the faster vector fonts for editing/viewing.

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
0xdeadbeef

Option to use TrueType fonts automatically when printing and use the faster vector fonts for editing/viewing.

#1 Post by 0xdeadbeef » 06 Aug 2021, 09:26

As discussed here without official feedback, I'd really like to have an option to use TrueType fonts (only) for printing while still using Vector fonts for normal editing/viewing in the Schematics editor.

This is because (for whatever reason) TrueType fonts are needed to make a printed PDF searchable and because using TrueType fonts makes panning/zooming in the Schematics editor much slower unless you switch to Direct3D/Open GL where the speed is OKish, but the text in TrueType fonts is re-rendered when zooming in /out which is pretty much distracting. I.e. if you zoom in, there is first a coarse scaled up preview and only some time later, this is replaced by the properly rendered TrueType fonts.

Of course, if there was a way to use Vector fonts for printing in way that the created PDF is searchable or if there would be a dedicated PDF export that created searchable schematics, this would be also fine. But I guess the "Use TrueType for printing" approach would be the one with the minimum effort to implement.

farley

Re: Option to use TrueType fonts automatically when printing and use the faster vector fonts for editing/viewing.

#2 Post by farley » 06 Aug 2021, 10:54

I use a True Type font (Consolas) for schematics and I've noticed the same effect when zooming (coarse then rendered). The rendering typically takes about a second on my machine. It's not been a distraction for me but perhaps that's because the schematics I create are not as complex as some others I've seen.

There could be an unintended side effect of what you're suggesting (font switching between screen and printing). It may lead to spacing differences with text. For instance, the vector text may be aligned and positioned properly on the monitor but may shift or overrun other graphics when switched to True Type and printed.

0xdeadbeef

Re: Option to use TrueType fonts automatically when printing and use the faster vector fonts for editing/viewing.

#3 Post by 0xdeadbeef » 06 Aug 2021, 11:11

I would gladly live with this side effect as it would be still be a hundred times better than the current situation when I either need to switch back and forth the whole time or live with the sluggishness and/or visual artifacts of TrueType font rendering on a rather large schematic (1606 pins used).

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 09 Aug 2021, 07:03

Thank you for the request, we will consider the option of different font type when printing and editing.