3D models not found or misaligned because of auto-routing

Report bugs here
protezoid

3D models not found or misaligned because of auto-routing

#1 Post by protezoid » 24 Nov 2018, 17:44

I'm a new user and very happy so far how Diptrace has made pcb creation easy but the 3D part is buggy.
i use a Diptrace included example Astable_Flip_Flop.dch and did the auto-router tutorial part, followed the steps then push 3D and only get a 3D battery, the rest is not found from the huge 3D library i download from your site and installed in the Diptrace program files folder.

The to-92 transistor 3D slot is empty in pattern and model search, so i manually search resistors and notice that they are all 90 degres rotated from the pads int he 3D viewer so i abort it. I then check the transistor and find a to-92-v that matches. I select it and it is misaligned with the pcb pad. Still i click ok. The board is rendered with to-92 misaligned and now resistors have been auto-found to but they are 90 degres rotated from pads. Other parts get really complicated with file names not so easy to match.

I did another test that's interesting, more Astable_Flip_Flop examples are available, so i use the Astable_Flip_Flop.dip and the 3D board works for this! I also use the other example Astable_Flip_Flop_3D.dip and the 3D board also works fine. The to-92 transistor 3D model is the same i manually found when nothing worked before with the Astable_Flip_Flop.dch and it is well aligned this time so are the resistors?!

So if i do use Astable_Flip_Flop.dch and do an auto-trace myself and click 3D, a lot of 3D models are not found and become misaligned if manually selected but if i use the same schematic from other examples where auto routing as already been done, 3D models are all found and well aligned.

It seems auto-routing creates a bug or something i missed?

I installed 3D models in another folder, same issue.
I erase 3D folder path and reasign, same issue.
My pc is 64bit Win 10

Should i make manual tracing if auto buggy?
Can you help please

protezoid

Re: 3D models not found or misaligned because of auto-routing

#2 Post by protezoid » 24 Nov 2018, 17:49

Correction in post 1, paragraph 2 has a copy paste error with the first phrase, it should be this corrected paragraph below:

So i manually search resistors and notice that they are all 90 degres rotated from the pads int he 3D viewer so i abort it. I then check the transistor and find a to-92-v that matches. I select it and it is misaligned with the pcb pad. Still i click ok. The board is rendered with to-92 misaligned and now resistors have been auto-found to but they are 90 degres rotated from pads. Other parts get really complicated with file names not so easy to match.

protezoid

#3 Post by protezoid » 24 Nov 2018, 18:54

Additional info for post 1 and 2, i did a manual routing on the example file Astable_Flip_Flop.dch instead of auto and the same bug persist. Only the battery 3D file is found and rendered, the rest in not found in 3D library and not 3D displayed. Is the Diptrace example file Astable_Flip_Flop.dch buggy? I will try something else.

Alex
Technical Support

#4 Post by Alex » 26 Nov 2018, 03:08

Autorouting can't remove 3D models from board layout because patterns didn't have 3D models before autorouting.
In fact, 3D model name and path are stored in pattern itself. If attached patterns didn't have 3D model name or path then 3D preview won't show 3D models for these patterns. If you forgot to attach 3D models in Pattern editor you can do it in PCB Layout then open 3D preview of the board to see result.

protezoid

#5 Post by protezoid » 26 Nov 2018, 18:26

I tried in pattern editor like you suggested Alex and 3D models are correctly assigned. Strange thing is that the Diptrace example Astable_Flip_Flop.dip has 2n4401 transistor with with a TO-92-v 3D model assigned but this transistor is TO-92 in datasheet. Legs are straight and not v shape for 2n4401, so i'm starting to wonder if examples are just simply not good... Tried again t

Now i double click a transistor in Astable_Flip_Flop.dip in example folder and a "component properties' window opens, we can see name: 2n4401, datasheet ect... and a blank space in 'library' box. Just under i click "update component", a pop-up appears ''library file does not exist''. Ok so i click the '...' beside the empty library box to manually search and finally select ''_transistor.eli ''. Then the v shape pcb footprint TO-92-V is replace with TO-92 with straight pads for 2n4401, which is correct.
Now this is a Diptrace example here. I don't get it.

Not really cool starting PCB's design and hit a massive incoherent bug like this right at the start, still it does not work...