Net port patterns

Report bugs here
missplaced

Net port patterns

#1 Post by missplaced » 26 Jan 2019, 23:24

Just designed a small circuit in the schematic ( including net ports ) window and transferred it to the PCB window BUT the net ports for power and GND dont appear where the components are linked by the rat lines neither do the patterns in the small lower left window appear for any net port but do for everything else , a bit confused here ?. Can anyone help me out please, perhaps ive hit a button by mistake and dont know it .

Thanks

Tomg
Expert

Re: Net port patterns

#2 Post by Tomg » 27 Jan 2019, 02:01

A Net Port is more of a schematic visual aid that helps keep the circuit diagram less cluttered. It is not a component with a pattern and thus will not appear in the PCB layout.
Tom

dtu2
Expert

#3 Post by dtu2 » 27 Jan 2019, 02:02

Net ports aren't actually a 'physical' component in and of themselves. They really only represent a 'logical' connection between components... an invisible wire connecting two or more locations on the schematic if you will (used to clean up the schematic).

You won't actually see them displayed as a component on the PCB. You won't even see a ratline on the PCB unless those net ports are connected to an actual component pin. Try placing only two ground connections (net ports) and nothing else on a schematic and converting that to a PCB and you'll see what I mean. You can try it with the ground connections connected or unconnected (it doesn't matter).
Jeff

missplaced

#4 Post by missplaced » 27 Jan 2019, 03:36

I see , so not a bug just my oversight and learning curve .

Thanks for the help.