Copper pour clearance issues

Report bugs here
kjrowett

Copper pour clearance issues

#1 Post by kjrowett » 25 Nov 2019, 10:15

I've added a component with long rectangular pads (the component is a Panasonic SMD relay). I also added two via. After updating the copper pour, I get clearance issues on one of the SMD pads and on one of the Vias.

Looking at the copper pour, it's not uniform on each side of the relay, and the side with clearance violations seems to not follow the contour of the pads.

Attached are two screen shots. One without the silk screen, which obscures part of the copper pour jagged edge, on the right set of pads. The unusual pour following the via is also a problem.

It looks like something is "blocking" the copper pour algorithm.

Any idea what parameter I change to fix this problem?

KR
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-11-25 13.11.56.png
Screenshot 2019-11-25 13.11.56.png (107.98 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Screenshot 2019-11-25 13.12.14.png
Screenshot 2019-11-25 13.12.14.png (105.19 KiB) Viewed 600 times

Tomg
Expert

Re: Copper pour clearance issues

#2 Post by Tomg » 25 Nov 2019, 10:58

What do you see when you unpour (not delete) the copper pours?
Tom

kjrowett

#3 Post by kjrowett » 25 Nov 2019, 12:38

Nothing telling. Seems correct.
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-11-25 15.35.17.png
Screenshot 2019-11-25 15.35.17.png (127.61 KiB) Viewed 594 times

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 25 Nov 2019, 16:13

What do the DRC error messages say?
Tom

kjrowett

#5 Post by kjrowett » 26 Nov 2019, 05:31

Pad K1:1 - Copper pour (gap=6.2mil; Rule= 7mil) (The rule violation is SMD to Copper clearance)
StaticVia142 - Copper pour (gap=6.16 mil; Rule = 7 mil) (rule violation is Via to Copper)

Tomg
Expert

#6 Post by Tomg » 26 Nov 2019, 05:43

Would you be willing to post a copy of the PCB file here (put it in a zip folder) so I can examine it? In the meantime, have you played around with the clearance settings in the Copper Pour Properties dialog window?...
cpp.gif
cpp.gif (40.74 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Tom

kjrowett

#7 Post by kjrowett » 26 Nov 2019, 07:34

reposting, as last post didn't show up...

I can't post the design file.

What's notable is the copper pour worked correctly for five of the six pads of the relay, and many, many vias. I did look at the net class, and the rules.

Tomg
Expert

#8 Post by Tomg » 26 Nov 2019, 10:01

I understand about not being able to post the file. Would you be able to share the relay part number so I can examine the recommended footprint in the manufacturer's datasheet?

Assuming the violet color is the bottom silkscreen layer, it's possible that the error in the lower right-hand corner might be caused by a silk-over-pad instance. As to the other issues I am, of course, unable to dive into the PCB layout to see what's causing them. Something to try at this point would be to reduce the line width in the copper pour to see if that helps (don't forget to update the pour). Another thing to try is to slightly move a via or two to see if any DRC errors clear up.
Tom

kjrowett

#9 Post by kjrowett » 26 Nov 2019, 11:48

Relay is Panasonic AGQ200A12Z. Thanks. We've used this part in several other designs w/o issue, with copper pours. The bottom silk is an interesting item to try. I've moved the via and the relay, slightly. It changes where the error is.

KR

Tomg
Expert

#10 Post by Tomg » 27 Nov 2019, 02:33

Grasping at straws, the following two procedures are only suggestions for ways to try to uncover and possibly fix the problem. If anything else comes to mind I'll post it here. Good luck.

1) In the Layers panel at the upper-right side of the screen of the PCB Layout editor, make sure all of the layers have been enabled.
2) In the Objects panel at the upper-right side of the screen, choose "Displaying and Selection" in the drop-list and make sure all of the standard objects have been enabled.
3) Right-click on the relay and select "Disconnect Traces" in the pop-up menu.
4) With only the relay still selected/highlighted, move the relay off of the PCB using the arrow keys.
5) Unpour all of the copper pours.
6) Select all objects (Ctrl + A) and look at the original problem area to see if there are any unwanted, previously "invisible" objects that have now been highlighted with a small orange square.
7) If no problems are found, close the PCB without resaving, then re-open the PCB file. This, of course, will return everything back to its original state.

Since you stated that the relay has been used successfully in other designs, the following procedure is most likely futile. Nevertheless, just in case the pattern has somehow been corrupted or changed...
1) Launch the Pattern Editor, find and open the pattern that the relay is using and make sure there are no obvious problems.
2) Select all objects (Ctrl + A) and look for any unwanted, previously "invisible" objects that have now been highlighted with a small orange square.
3) Correct any problems and resave the pattern library. (Resave the pattern library even if no problems were found.)
4) Launch the Component Editor, find and open the relay, re-attach the newly-vetted pattern and resave the component library.
5) Right-click on the problem relay in the schematic, select "Update from Library" in the pop-up menu, choose "Selected Parts" in the fly-out menu and resave the schematic.
6) In the PCB Layout editor run the Renew Layout from Schematic (By Components...) tool and update the copper pours to see if anything gets fixed.

p.s. Make sure the non-Net Clearance: setting in the Copper Pour Properties dialog window is set to at least 7 mil. This affects the unconnected pads. (See previous post showing the dialog window.) This makes me think that the problem pad isn't really connected to a net. Try hovering the mouse cursor over the problem pad to see the name of the Net it is connected to. Just a thought.
Tom