Wine Hangs v4.2 & v4.3 Beta

Report bugs here
bixelps

Wine Hangs v4.2 & v4.3 Beta

#1 Post by bixelps » 30 May 2022, 00:15

I am having issues with Diptrace running under Wine on Linux. The program Hangs often and must be shutdown to recover or sometimes after 10 minutes it will revive. Its basically un-usable for me as a result.

I have seen this behavior with both v4.2 and v4.3 Beta. Currently I am running the 32 bit version of v4.3 Beta under Wine Stable v7.0.
I am using Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, also a stable LTS release.
This system is using an Intel CPU with internal GPU, video driver is 21.2.6-0ubuntu0.1~20.04.2, also stable.

You can make it hang for example if you try and edit the title blocks, consult the SnapEDA library and I assume many other ways.

Are you able to reproduce this issue on your side? If you need any information from me let me know. Would love to see this issue resolved before you release v4.3 as I really would like to use my license under Linux.

Alex
Technical Support

Re: Wine Hangs v4.2 & v4.3 Beta

#2 Post by Alex » 01 Jun 2022, 16:39

Thank you for the report, we are investingating it.
What graphics mode do you use in DipTrace (View -> Graphics Mode from main menu)? Please try to change it and let me know result (the same behavoir or any changes).

Alex
Technical Support

#3 Post by Alex » 02 Jun 2022, 03:48

We can't reproduce the hangs. Please try to reset DipTrace registry. This will reset all DipTrace settings in registry to default. Close all DipTrace programs, open terminals and execute 'wine regedit'.
Delete 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Novarm' registry branch. Now you can start DipTrace again.

bixelps

#4 Post by bixelps » 04 Jun 2022, 07:57

Thanks for the tip which I tried without luck.

I am using Mint 20.2, My video is the onboard Intel GPU.

I have tried both v4.2 and v4.3beta without success. Easily reproduce-able here just by enabling the title block and trying to select the text and edit.

If you have any other ideas I would be happy to hear them.

Serg
Technical Support

#5 Post by Serg » 06 Jun 2022, 04:22

Seems we have reproduced the problem. This behavior can be related to the modal window with a focus on him that pop-ups under the main window.
Sometimes this happens because was a mouse click outside of the modal window (such clicks can be related to a faulty mouse).
If the problem will appear try to do the following( in particular while editing the title blocks):
1) Press on the window title(where write PCB Layout, in the middle) using a right mouse click.
2) Select the "Move" item.
3) Shift the window to the side.
4) You will see the modal window which took the focus. Take action in the modal window and/or close one.
After that, the control will return to the PCB Layout workspace.
Do the next actions to avoid the similar problems in the future:
1. Open Terminal and Run winecfg
2. Go to the "Graphics" tab;
3. Uncheck "Allow the window manager to control the windows" and press OK.

bixelps

#6 Post by bixelps » 07 Jun 2022, 08:05

You may be correct but I cannot move the window to see.

It is also impossible to kill the process by right clicking on the task bar icon.

Looks a little like this other bug report viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14494 except of course we are talking Linux in my case.

Serg
Technical Support

#7 Post by Serg » 07 Jun 2022, 22:29

bixelps wrote: 07 Jun 2022, 08:05 You may be correct but I cannot move the window to see.

It is also impossible to kill the process by right clicking on the task bar icon.

Looks a little like this other bug report viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14494 except of course we are talking Linux in my case.
If you need to kill the process please use a regular tool Linux Mint 20.2:
Applications -> System Monitor.

Please do the next actions:
1. Close all DipTrace Applications;
2. Open Terminal and Run winecfg
3. Go to the "Graphics" tab;
4. Uncheck "Allow the window manager to control the windows" and press OK;
5. Run DipTrace PCB Layout.
Please write to us about which stage you couldn't perform.
Did you avoid hangs?