Adjustable component panel width

Post your feature requests here. Please use search function to ensure it is not here yet.
Warhawk

Adjustable component panel width

#1 Post by Warhawk » 26 Feb 2015, 07:21

Hi,
I am used to IPC naming convention for all PCB layout packages. SOIC-08 is just not enough these days because of a million different variants.
However I am not able to see the long names because the component panel width is not adjustable.
Could you please consider this ?

See the picture.

Thanks
Jiri
Attachments
footprints naming.PNG
footprints naming.PNG (17.21 KiB) Viewed 744 times

RDC

Re: Adjustable component panel width

#2 Post by RDC » 27 Feb 2015, 14:00

You can Right Click in there and select Width, then Normal, Medium or Large. Might not be enough depending on how long the component name really is, but you'll see more of it.

DerekG

#3 Post by DerekG » 27 Feb 2015, 15:56

It is still not wide enough. The Windows box should be fully configurable, both in width & in length.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

dtu2
Expert

#4 Post by dtu2 » 26 Mar 2015, 02:57

These non-resizable windows issues have been around from the beginning. It's the elephant in the room. People have been complaining about this for YEARS and Alex acknowledges the fact but nothing EVER changes.

I used to expect updates and active development in a timely fashion... not any more. You really have to wonder what the problem is. Are they are simply understaffed or really don't know how to fix it. If I had to guess I would bet the underlying core of this software was never designed for Windows and that they would have to burn it all down and start over and you know that will never happen. But that's just my opinion... I have nothing to base that on except observation and a hunch.

If it's a philosophical choice, well then until the paradigm changes, it's doomed.

In case you haven't noticed, things move very slowly with Diptrace, if at all. So if you are expecting bug fix updates be prepared to wait for months or years. If you are expecting feature upgrades, well, if you're lucky, it may happen once in your lifetime. So just hope and pray that your pet issue makes it aboard.
Jeff

VEC7OR
Expert

#5 Post by VEC7OR » 14 Apr 2015, 09:35

Frankly I really don't get it - whats the hold up devs ?
Making windows resizable is easy in any form/resource/window editor/SDK, doesn't require metric crapton of debugging, so why not do it ?
I've been asking to fix the interface for 3 years now, and all I was asking is very simple - less clicking - ditch the tabbed windows, make use of screen space, replace dropdown lists with just lists, move default focus to better places.
My rhombicosidodecahedron is bigger than yours.

davenz

#6 Post by davenz » 22 Apr 2015, 13:31

I might be wrong but I read somewhere that Novarm is based in the Ukraine somewhere. If so, there could be one rather good reason why things are not happening as fast as perhaps we'd hope they should...
--
All the best,

Dave.

DerekG

#7 Post by DerekG » 22 Apr 2015, 15:30

davenz wrote:I might be wrong but I read somewhere that Novarm is based in the Ukraine somewhere.
Correct, in Dnipropetrovsk.

But don't hold that against them, some of Altium's best software coders are also in The Ukraine.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

davenz

#8 Post by davenz » 22 Apr 2015, 18:43

Don't get me wrong, some of the best software comes from that part of the world. My point was more that there is a war going on there abouts at the moment and while I haven't lived thru a war, I have lived through a significant natural disaster which 5 years later my city is still recovering from. Life gets put on hold sometimes through no fault of our own. I just hope the devs are safe and well.
--
All the best,

Dave.

Alex
Technical Support

#9 Post by Alex » 24 Apr 2015, 01:47

We live in safe enough city and work normally. Thanks for your wishes.

davenz

#10 Post by davenz » 25 Apr 2015, 11:35

Alex wrote:We live in safe enough city and work normally. Thanks for your wishes.
Good to know. I hope it stays that way for you.

My wife lived through a dirty and hugely vicious civil war in the Balkans and it pitted friend against friend and neighbour against neighbour. Nobody wins and everybody suffers, often for generations. Those of us living safely away from all that have no concept of what it does to people.
--
All the best,

Dave.