DipTrace 2.9 beta with differential pairs

News from developer. Also post info about new articles, tutorials, conferences, etc.
novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

DipTrace 2.9 beta with differential pairs

#1 Post by novarm44 » 12 Aug 2015, 02:36

Hi All,

We have published DipTrace 2.9 beta today.

Please download it here:
http://diptrace.com/downloads/dipfree_beta.exe (Freeware)
http://diptrace.com/downloads/diptrial_beta.exe (30-day Trial)
If you have 2.x license, you can download any of these and your registration key will be applied.

The following new features are available:
1. Basic differential pair routing. Basic means all structure is done: you can make differential pair objects (both in Schematic and PCB), route traces simultaneously, edit them, DRC checks their parameters, etc. But you can not do some things like phase tuning or free net routing yet - we plan to complete this feature together with adding "meanders" and "trace length match" till release of 3.0.
2. Configurable hotkeys (see Tools / Hotkey Settings). Now all hotkeys can be changed and you can assign hotkey to almost any tool of the program. If you can not assign hotkey to any tool/command you need, please let us know.
3. ODB++ export
4. Gerber X2 export - see more info at http://www.ucamco.com/en/news/gerber-x2 ... munication
We are working close with Ucamco, so this feature is the latest version of Gerber X2 and is tested by Ucamco to comply with all their requirements.
5. DRC report shows where the rule is located in DipTrace UI.
6. Optimization of some algorithms to fix bottle-necks (delays) on large designs. Ok, we did not reach the maximum possible efficiency yet and have many optimization plans, but 2.9 beta whould be much more comfortable to work with large layouts if compare to 2.4
7. All fonts are Tahoma Regular now.

The video how to work with new features will be available shortly.

Regards,
Stanislav Ruev
DipTrace Team

john coloccia

Re: DipTrace 2.9 beta with differential pairs

#2 Post by john coloccia » 12 Aug 2015, 16:42

Just a general question: Do you plan on releasing a stable version of 2.9, or will the next stable version be 3.0?

Thanks!

uschott
Expert

#3 Post by uschott » 12 Aug 2015, 17:39

novarm44 wrote: ..
2. Configurable hotkeys (see Tools / Hotkey Settings). Now all hotkeys can be changed and you can assign hotkey to almost any tool of the program. If you can not assign hotkey to any tool/command you need, please let us know.
DipTrace Team
Unfortunately, the following has been forgotten

Shortcut in the new Dialog to quick toggle the Units [inch, mil, mm]

alt + v + n + i,l,m

isn't that great !!

Please have a look at
http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9953

Thanks for your work so far.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#4 Post by novarm44 » 13 Aug 2015, 01:59

john coloccia wrote:Just a general question: Do you plan on releasing a stable version of 2.9, or will the next stable version be 3.0?
The next version will be 3.0.
The price for commercial Extended, Full and probably Standard Editions will be raised a bit due to high-speed capabilities.
If you ordered/upgraded 1.x or 2.x before May 1, 2015 - upgrade will cost 25% of the full price, after May 1, 2015 - the uprade will be free.
So if you order 2.4 after May 1, 2015 and before release of 3.0, the price of 3.x for you will be the same as 2.x.
Unfortunately, the following has been forgotten
Shortcut in the new Dialog to quick toggle the Units [inch, mil, mm]
This is not forgotten. This feature is a bit different from just hotkeys as you need to recount all values in any open dialog in real-time.
It is already in source code plans as extension to hotkeys (we move the nearest plans right into the source code to allow programmer see and count them), I suppose we will start to make this feature right after release of 3.0.

uschott
Expert

#5 Post by uschott » 13 Aug 2015, 05:25

This feature is a bit different from just hotkeys as you need to recount all values in any open dialog in real-time.
What's the difference between pressing keys 'alt, v, n, m' and giving this sequence a one key shortcut, say for example 'm'?

This could be done by now with any external program without modifying the sourcecode.

novarm44
DipTrace Lead Developer

#6 Post by novarm44 » 13 Aug 2015, 08:23

novarm44 wrote:What's the difference between pressing keys 'alt, v, n, m' and giving this sequence a one key shortcut, say for example 'm'?
This could be done by now with any external program without modifying the sourcecode.
The difference that you should be able to change units in any dialog window of the program on the fly. Right?
So all size/position values of each window should be recalculated on the fly - you can not do this correctly with external program without modifying source code. It is not hard task, just some amount of work (I suppose max 1-2 days: making the system as it is a bit different from just hotkeys and then reviewing all windows and adding fields to the system). However the priority is high-speed routing now.

uschott
Expert

#7 Post by uschott » 13 Aug 2015, 10:14

Thanks for your answer, novarm44. Now I realize what you meant. I thought it would be enough to change the units while I'm in the main dialog of PCB Layout. But you are right, it is much more effective to make the change from any open dialog possible and recalculate all the valus at once wether I'm just in the Via Styles dialog oder in the Net Classes dialog or else.

;)

VEC7OR
Expert

#8 Post by VEC7OR » 16 Aug 2015, 22:45

Same old shit UI, guys, its been 3 years since I've made a suggestion(s). :roll:
Do you even listen ? Cant you nail the everyday stuff like shortcuts and UI and then move to the fancy ?
Goddamn it, invest a week and cure that tabbed cancerous clickfest POS UI.
Anyhow, congrats on the new release.
My rhombicosidodecahedron is bigger than yours.

bcsteeve

#9 Post by bcsteeve » 17 Aug 2015, 06:10

Question before I try it... can I install the Beta ALONG SIDE 2.4? Or I have to remove or over-write 2.4 to try 2.9? Thanks.

slowertech

#10 Post by slowertech » 17 Aug 2015, 07:21

bcsteeve wrote:Question before I try it... can I install the Beta ALONG SIDE 2.4? Or I have to remove or over-write 2.4 to try 2.9? Thanks.
Yes, I believe there are no problems doing this. I have them both installed on the same pc with no apparent problems.