Talk to me about my design

Post anything here (except spam)
3mmannings

Talk to me about my design

#1 Post by 3mmannings » 19 Apr 2016, 09:34

I'm fairly new to PCB Layout. I've been working a design and would like to converse with someone
experienced in PCB Layout with Dip Trace. My thought is that I would provide my file and you would look at it while we are talking about it over the phone. You could expose possible errors and provide tips. It's nothing to complicated, I just can't tell if this is going to work before I invest the money to have a board made. I would like to have a higher confidence that the design is sound.

I could provide my phone number and you could call me.
I'm in Charlotte NC USA, prefer to talk to someone close by due to time zones (EST).
I'd like to converse sometime during the hours of 8 AM - 4 PM.
Is there any one interested?

Mike

MDman

Re: Talk to me about my design

#2 Post by MDman » 13 May 2016, 00:40

G'day Mike,

Probably a bit late...
Have you started your design by first making a schematic in Diptrace and then creating the layout from the schematic?
Also, have you wired up the design on a breadboard to test that the design concept actually works?
If you have to create schematic components or device footprints, check them and check them again and again! This is one source of silly pcb errors.
It normally takes me 2 or 3 pcb's to get a design right, especially if it is a totally new design. However, I am no EE. One of my last designs has to be totally redone as one of the main parts I used just doesn't do what I need it to. For some silly reason I didn't want to use a 5v reg so chose an oddball part that would work with the available supply voltage. Also I had a couple of layout errors/oversights along with an error from the pcb manufacturer on the pcb. We live and learn.... Hopefully!

Good luck with it ;)

Mdman

3mmannings

Re: Talk to me about my design

#3 Post by 3mmannings » 16 May 2016, 00:44

Hi MDman,

I did one of the big no no's and started without making a schematic first. But the design was OK. My biggest concern was not knowing for sure if all the vias and connections to the inner planes of a 4 layer pcb were correct. This was the first time I have done a multilayer pcb, and I was having problems understanding the copper fills and what not to fill. Some of the indications in the design environment have made me wonder if I had got it right. I think I finally satisfied myself and sent the board to fabrication.....we'll see when it get back.

Thanks for your input,

Mike