Finding Components

Drawing Schematics, Hierarchical Design, BOM, Exporting net-lists, etc.
Reywas44

Finding Components

#1 Post by Reywas44 » 06 Mar 2017, 12:58

Hi,

I'm new to DipTrace and struggling a bit with finding components in Schematic. For example, I'm trying to see if the the libraries contain any of the Amp Val-U-Lok series connectors but nothing I filter on gives me any results, including filtering on just Amp as the manufacturer. The actual P/N I'm looking for is 1-1586037-2.
Paul...gettin' old but still trying to learn.

J_P

Re: Finding Components

#2 Post by J_P » 07 Mar 2017, 02:28

It is, perhaps, unreasonable to expect EVERY component on the market to exist in the library. It would appear, however, that the connector is 12-way with a 0.165" (4.2mm) spacing (in both directions) between pins which are in two rows. Assuming this is correct, you can draw the part in the "Pattern Editor" then draw its schematic in "Component Editor" add the pattern, and then save to your library. While you're at it, draw 10-way, 8-way, etc. as well.

J_P

Tomg
Expert

#3 Post by Tomg » 07 Mar 2017, 04:43

DipTrace doesn't seem to have included that connector in their standard libraries. The official "manufacturer" is TE Connectivity who absorbed AMP a while back. Included below is a newly-created pattern library named "1586037.lib" and component library named "1586037.eli" with patterns attached. Keep in mind that I have never used any of these on an actual PCB so I cannot guarantee a proper fit or fire resistance. Double check all dimensions, hole sizes, pad diameters, pin numbers, etc. against the official TE Connectivity data sheet before using. If you dislike my component drawing style for connectors, you are more than welcome to re-draw them any way you like. Just drop the files into your "User" (custom) patterns/components library folder(s), or whatever custom patterns/components repository you have created, and make sure the file manager has a link to it. The default custom libraries location for Windows is C:\Users\[username]\Documents\DipTrace\My Libraries. To retrieve the factory 3D STEP file for part number 1-1586037-2, go here http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1-1586037-2.html and scroll down to the "CAD Files" section.
Last edited by Tomg on 07 Nov 2017, 03:16, edited 2 times in total.
Tom

Reywas44

#4 Post by Reywas44 » 07 Mar 2017, 07:12

Wow, thank you very much!

I guess my question should have been: How do you search for a pattern that may be a match to a component if that component's part number isn't in the libraries or is it just easier to create a new pattern if the part number search comes up empty?

Tomg
Expert

#5 Post by Tomg » 07 Mar 2017, 07:43

Reywas44 wrote:"...How do you search for a pattern that may be a match to a component if that component's part number isn't in the libraries or is it just easier to create a new pattern if the part number search comes up empty?..."
Sometimes it helps to search the "Manufacturer" category of the entire component group just to see if they exist in an unexpected library. Of course, this may result in thousands of hits that choke the search engine so simultaneously including the first two or three characters of the part number in the "Name" category will narrow things down. Once you find a promising library, you can limit the search to only that particular library. Naturally, if you can't find the part you're looking for it's pretty easy to create your own in DipTrace as long as you have the manufacturer's datasheet.
Tom

Reywas44

#6 Post by Reywas44 » 11 Mar 2017, 07:21

Thanks for the help Tom. Before using your files I decided to make my own component and pattern for practice and succeeded without too much trouble. I then downloaded your files and had a lot of trouble getting the components to show up in the User Components library until I figured out that the files were actually libraries of multiple components. I assumed that a .eli and .lib file always referred to a single component or pattern. I'm really struggling to get a handle on the Library structure and the difference between a folder and a library.

So after getting your files to show up in the User Components library, I noticed that the pin numbering didn't match the manufacturer's numbering of the matching free-hanging connector. Amp numbers these connectors like this:
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8

I opened the pattern editor, changed the numbering, saved the library and closed the editor. Re-opened the Pattern editor to make sure the changes were really saved...they were. Opened the Components editor, selected the component and opened the Attached Pattern window. The un-modified pattern was still showing with mismatched pin to pad assignments. I spent an hour trying to figure out how to fix this...closed and re-opened both editors, could not get the the Pin to Pad Table to do anything (no pin numbers showing in the table?) and finally in desperation assigned the next pattern in the list to the component and then switched back to the correct pattern. Eureka! The correctly numbered pattern popped up.

What was I doing wrong? Sorry for the long-winded narrative.

Tomg
Expert

#7 Post by Tomg » 11 Mar 2017, 09:05

Here is a thread with a very basic explanation of the DipTrace library structure with an unofficial recommendation on how to set up the library manager - http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10937. After that, you will want to read this thread explaining forward propagation in DipTrace - http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11277. This will help you solve the problem of updating components.

Thanks for the heads up about the numbering sequence. I looked all over and couldn't find it, so I copied the pin creation sequence used by the creator of the STEP file. Oh, well. By the way, just in case you didn't know, there is a convenient pad renumbering tool in the DipTrace Pattern Editor. Simply drag a selection box around all of the component's pads to be renumbered, right-click on what you want to be pad #1 and select Pad Array Numbers... in the pop-up menu. A dialog window will appear allowing you to select a starting number, step size value, direction, pattern, etc. It's a nice tool, except for a bug in the circular pattern algorithm (already reported and acknowledged).
Tom

anand

#8 Post by anand » 02 Oct 2017, 04:54

hey guys i am struggling with finding components .i neeed a cd4017 IC,NE555yimer,2.2 k resistor etc.for making a circuit of a led chaser.I am new to this software .

Tomg
Expert

#9 Post by Tomg » 02 Oct 2017, 22:59

Use the Search Filter in the Schematic Editor. Here are some basic examples...
Attachments
search.gif
search.gif (64.03 KiB) Viewed 699 times
Tom