Can't update a PCB component shape?

"How-to" questions from new engineers and designers. Please ask and respond here.
G0ECI

Can't update a PCB component shape?

#1 Post by G0ECI » 22 May 2017, 00:27

Hi folks ...
Yet another question from under my 'learning curve' - hope you can help?

I decided to design my own custom component library. Naturally I used the component and shape editor to achieve this.

Firstly, what is the difference between 'Renew layout from schematic :
By components ?
By RefDes?

Ok .... I now have all my components ready to be laid on the PCB but I have a DRC error with one component (pad spacing). I updated the component in both the component and shape editor making sure I saved the updates. I was careful to associate the new shape to the pattern properties in component editor. I also updated the schematic (which was ok with the new shape) and used 'control B' to open PCB and import the components, but PCB used the original shape. :? I deleted the single shape in PCB and re-imported the components using 'Renew layout from schematic : By components, but PCB imported the original shape. I also used 'Renew layout from schematic : By RefDes, but the original shape was again imported.

How do I make PCB use the new shape?
Thanks ...

Tomg
Expert

Re: Can't update a PCB component shape?

#2 Post by Tomg » 22 May 2017, 01:39

G0ECI wrote:"...what is the difference between 'Renew layout from schematic :... ...By components ?... ...By RefDes?..."
Renew Layout from Schematic - By Components
This option uses unique, hidden component identifiers automatically assigned by the DipTrace Schematic Layout editor and should only be used for schematics created in DipTrace, not schematics imported from other CAD programs.

Renew Layout from Schematic - By RefDes
This option links components in the PCB layout to components with identical reference designators in the schematic. The By RefDes option can be used even if the PCB and schematic were designed in separate/different CAD packages. When updating using the By RefDes option, hidden PCB identifiers will be automatically assigned. Once these hidden PCB identifiers have been automatically assigned, subsequent updates using the By Components option and the editing of reference designators will be possible.

Renew Layout from Schematic - By Related Schematic
This option is functionally identical to the By Components option, but it does not require you to select a schematic source file if one has already been defined. The hotkey combination to execute this option is Ctrl + Alt + U.

Selecting a schematic source file
In the Main Menu select File and then choose Layout Information... in the drop-down menu. In the Design Information dialog window, click on the [...] button in the Related Schematic section and choose the desired schematic source file.

New components will be placed just outside and to the right of the PCB Outline. Anything remaining unchanged in the schematic will remain unchanged in the existing layout.
G0ECI wrote:"...How do I make PCB use the new shape?..."
See this thread about forward propagation in Diptrace - http://www.diptrace.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11277.
Tom

G0ECI

#3 Post by G0ECI » 05 Jun 2017, 00:12

Thanks Tom ...

I've a new question for you?

I've added text to my schematic, but when I print out the design, none of the text is printed? Only the values and refdes are printed.

I also don't see any text in print preview?

Could you advise me Tom? ... Thanks

Tomg
Expert

#4 Post by Tomg » 05 Jun 2017, 02:07

If you are talking about printing out the schematic, I don't know what could be causing it not to print the additional text labels or not displaying them in the Preview window. If you are talking about the Title Block then you will have to enable it in the View Menu (View > Display Titles). Other than that, I can't think of any other reasons for this to occur. Maybe someone else on this forum has an idea? Can you provide a screenshot of the schematic text area along with a screenshot of the same area as displayed in the Preview window?
Tom